[IRPCoalition] Updates - Feb 2014

IRPCoalition info at irpcharter.org
Fri Feb 28 11:54:54 EET 2014

Dear all,

Marilia's reminder about registering for the Net Mundial Meeting in
Brazil this April is a good moment for an update for activities and
deadlines in what is a particularly busy year. The list below is in
reverse order of the calendar:

1) IGF Istanbul 2014: This is 2-4 September. The MAG has started the
preparations with stocktaking from the Bali IGF 2013, and program
themes. The Synthesis Report at
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/125-preparatory-process/1557-2014
is worth reading; a good summary and signposting for Istanbul. In Geneva
last week, the MAG nominated the following themes for this year's IGF:
1.      Local policies enabling Internet Access; 2. Content Creation,
Dissemination and Use; 3.      Internet as an engine for growth and
development; 4.      IGF and the Future of Internet ecosystem; 5.
Enhancing Digital Trust; 6. Internet and Human Rights; 7.      Critical
Internet Resources; 8.      Emerging Issues

2) EuroDIG 2014: The first planning meeting on 30th Jan in Berlin
decided on this year's theme: Digital society at stake -- Europe and the
future of the Internet (http://www.eurodig.org/). The first draft
program is due shortly at which point it will be clearer where and how
the IRPC can contribute.

3) Net Mundial Meeting in Brazil, 23-24 April: Today is the deadline for
pre-registrations for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future
of Internet Governance (Net Mundial) i.e. 28/02. Please register if you
plan to attend: http://content.netmundial.br/interests/expression.
Acceptance of registrations will be made public by 15/03.

The deadline for presenting written contributions is 08/03. We will be
making a submission on behalf of the IRPC Charter and that text should
be ready for viewing and comment on Monday. This is indeed quite close
to the 8th March deadline but it is an umbrella text accompanying the
submission of the full Charter to this meeting. The aim being to address
governmental and the business sector delegates as the meeting considers
a set of IG Principles. As the IRPC Ten Principles are derived from the
Charter, rather than the other way around, the rationale for making an
independent submission is to emphasise the substantive content and range
of rights and/as principles contained in the Charter; a number of which
are in danger of being overlooked with the current focus on privacy and
surveillance issues. Submitting the full Charter to the IG Principles
stream provides access to one of the most comprehensive frameworks for
unpacking more specifically how, and which human rights are integral to
any set of IG principles .

In terms of civil society work on Net Mundial submissions, there is
important work being done within the Best Bits network; here the IRPC
Charter is part of a CS effort to promote human-centered formulations of
IG Principles, including those based on good process and those with more
substantive content. The IRPC submission takes into account this work
from our CS colleagues. These contributions will be opening for signing
on very soon on the Best Bits website.

Also, there are several pre-meetings before the main event in Sao Paulo;
More on these in due course.

4) Other news:
a) The Charter in Arabic and its role in the Hivos IG-Mena Click Rights
Campaign has been underway for just under a month. We are looking
forward to hearing back on the outcome of this important work in raising
awareness in the MENA region through having the Charter and 10
Principles in Arabic: http://hivos.org/news/click-rights-and-get-it-right
b) The Charter has also been featured in a major report on human rights
and the internet to the Chilean Institute of Human Rights; An outline
and access to the report (in Spanish) is at
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/new-publication-internet-human-rights/

5) Updates on the IRPC Charter Booklet - Outreach (1). We are very
pleased to announce that the Charter is now in an authoritative Spanish
translation; a text-only version of the Charter. A Spanish translation
of the full Charter Booklet is on its way but as we can see the lion's
share of the translation work has been done thanks to Eduardo Bertoni
and colleagues at CELE, University of Palermo. The direct link is
http://www.palermo.edu/cele/noticias/carta-derechos-humanos-y-principios-de-internet.html.
We now have the Charter in 3 world languages, with more being work on
for release this year. Thank you to all. If anyone would like to help
complete translating the Charter Booklet in Spanish so it can be
formatted and readied for printing when needed, please let us know.

All three versions are available also at
www.internetightsandprincples.org. Guidelines for translators and the
Text-only file for the Booklet is also online under the tab "IRP Charter"

6) Outreach (2) - Endorsements: The most recent updates is to let you
all know that we now have endorsements of the Charter well underway.
This is the next phase of the "Charter 2.0" project, recognition,
support and endorsement. Incoming endorsements are being added as they
arrive. Our thanks to all.

The IRP SC met last week and we will be in touch in the next days with
more updates and requests for input. Feel free to respond if you have
ideas for these upcoming meetings as preparations are underway.

That is all for now.
MF/RB and the whole SC

Internet Rights and Principles Coalition
UN Internet Governance Forum
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/dynamiccoalitions/72-ibr
Homepage:www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Twitter: @netrights