[IRPCoalition] Activists Workshop in Istanbul

Lorena Jaume-Palasi lorena at collaboratory.de
Thu Aug 28 01:36:15 EEST 2014

Jean-Louis,
activists decided themselves to name it ungovernance - so ungovernance it
is :)
I think this is an excellent idea. The list has been discussing for a long
time how to bridge the gap between the local and the global and creating
more inclusivity and variety at the international level - variety not only
with respect to stakeholders, or regional/national representatives, gender,
generations, etc. but also from a geographical standpoint (rural, urban,
local, national, regional, international, etc.). Moreover, if civil society
isn't able to integrate the critical voices of a part of herself that
decided to come to Istanbul but refuses the venue, who else should do that?
Thanks Meryem, Robin and Milton for this.
My 2 cents,
Lorena

> Milton
>

> Interesting, but your mail is somewhat ambiguous, at least IMHO.
>

> Example : Ungovernance. Isn't there a spelling error ? Maybe UNgovernance
> would be the correct writing ? But actually, I wonder if both writings
> aren't synonimous in your mind  ...
>

> In addition, in the case the "workship" doesn't take on water with your
> suggested themes,  you shouldn't limit "censorship and surveillance" to a
> "local" topic, but add mass surveillance practiced by the USG via NSA and
> its subsidiaries. I'm quite sure that this is a bullet point !
>
> Thanks in advance for considering my suggestions. Btw : If I recall
> correctly (WSIS Prepcoms ...), Meryem should be capable for dealing with
> this issue.
>

> Best
>

> Jean-Loui Fullsack
>

> > Message du 27/08/14 22:20
> > De : "Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu>
> > A : "irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org" <
> irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>
> > Copie à :
> > Objet : [IRPCoalition] Activists Workshop in Istanbul
>

> Meryem Marzouki, Robin Gross and I are working with some local activists
> associated with the Internet Ungovernance Forum to put together a workshop
> called:
>

> Governance or Ungovernance: A Strategy Workshop for Internet Activists
>

> The workship is designed for people new to the arena who may be:
>
>   * confused about all the complicated and overlapping institutions that
> claim to be working on Internet governance
>
>   * unsure about how activists concerned with local censorship and
> surveillance fit into these global structures
>
>   * wondering how the IGF, ICANN, IETF, the ITU, the CSTD, and NetMundial
> are relevant to their collective engagements
>

> It will be held 3 September 2014 (Wednesday), 13:00 18:00, in Istanbul
> near Taksim Square
>

> The full description of what we are doing is attached as a pdf, which you
> are free to forward to other appropriate lists, and the same information
> can be found at this URL:
> https://iuf.alternatifbilisim.org/gov_ungov_workshop.html
>

> Milton L Mueller
>
> Laura J and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
>
> Syracuse University School of Information Studies
>
> http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/

> > [ UngovWorkshopCfPv2.pdf (86.8 Ko) ]

Lorena Jaume-Palasí, M.A. ∙ Coordinator of the Global Internet Governance
(GIG) Ohu
 Internet & Gesellschaft Co:llaboratory e.V.
www.collaboratory.de ∙ Newsletter
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=collaboratory&loc=de_DE> ∙
 Facebook <http://goo.gl/eJVZn> ∙ Twitter <http://goo.gl/sUFM5> ∙
<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>Youtube