[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] free flow of information @ Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 20:05:18 EEST 2014

> Language is very important when it comes to human rights.
>
> jeanette

Language is always and increasingly important - legally because a word or
form of words may have acquired a particular meaning in law, morally
because a word or form of words without a stable definition can be
manipulated to disguise a particular intention with its opposite.
When it comes to language prefer definitions even over trust!
Deirdre

> Am 15.04.2014 16:33, schrieb Anne Jellema:
>
>> Jeanette, thanks - the example serves your purpose of illustrating the
>> complexity of positioning  in the textual negotiations. On a side note,
>> though, I'm surprised to hear you say that you have opposed free flow of
>> information on grounds that it is not a human right. Article 19 of the
>> UDHR states that:
>>
>> Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right
>> includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and */to seek,
>>
>> receive and impart information and ideas through any media and
>> regardless of frontiers/*.
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Anne
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu
>> <mailto:jeanette at wzb.eu>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>

>>     Am 15.04.2014 14:54, schrieb parminder:
>>
>>         Not only net neutrality has been removed,
>>
>>     'free flow of information' which figured twice in the earlier
>>     (leaked) draft has been removed from both places..
>>
>>     in my capacity as a HLMC member I have spoken up against free flow
>>     of information in the human rights section because free flow of
>>     information is not a human right. Ironically, someone from the
>>     business sector objected to removing this term from the human rights
>>     section.
>>
>>     I am reporting this to illustrate that the negotiation of the text
>>     hasn't always followed the distribution of power and interest that
>>     some on this list may assume. The draft document represents
>>     victories and defeats on all sides.
>>
>>     jeanette

>> --
>> Anne Jellema
>> CEO
>> +27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
>> +1 202 684 6885 (US)
>> @afjellema
>> *
>> *
>> *World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
>> DC, 20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
>> Twitter: @webfoundation*

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979