[IRPCoalition] [governance] Re: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Tue Apr 15 12:50:50 EEST 2014

Nnenna is going to be great. I’m glad she’s keynoting.

—m

--
Mike Godwin | Senior Legal Advisor, Global Internet Policy Project
mgodwin at internews.org<mailto:mgodwin at internews.org> | Mobile 415-793-4446
Skype mnemonic1026
Address 1601 R Street NW, 2nd Floor Washington, DC 20009 USA

INTERNEWS | Local Voices. Global Change.
www.internews.org<http://www.internews.org/> | @internews<http://www.twitter.com/internews> | facebook.com/internews<http://www.facebook.com/internews>

From: Marianne Franklin <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk<mailto:m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>>
Date: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 5:46 AM
To: "bestbits at lists.bestbits.net<mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>" <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net<mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>>, "irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org<mailto:irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>" <irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org<mailto:irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>>
Subject: Re: [governance] Re: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Dear all

+1 from me re. Nnenna's role, and +1 from me re. Anriette's points below.

best
MF

On 15/04/2014 19:44, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
Congrats Nnenna!

Put on one of your fabulous outfits, and then remind them, that working inclusively and respectfully with all stakeholder groups, particularly those that lack power and influence - i.e. civil society - is very different from putting on a colourful West African outfit :) It takes hard work, change in behaviour, change in structures and procedures, consultation, respect, trust, debate, and struggle, because do not always agree. It also requires a common framework of principles that defines what the public interest is in internet governance that can be used to promote and protect this public interest across the internet governance ecosystem and it is this framework that we trust the NetMundial can get us closer to.

You could also mention surveillance, with particularly - but not only - mass surveillance demonstrating how easy it is to destroy trust, and to deny accountability. And, is there any tougher test for multi-stakeholder internet governance? I think it would be good to get the message accross that the IANA transition is not the only issue that NetMundial should be discussing, but at the same time, it is a key opportunity to come up with solutions and approaches that are not simply cosmetic.

Anriette