[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Brazil summit

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Nov 23 14:03:37 EET 2013

Hi

Parminder, FWIW the term orphaned issues has been around since before we met in Tunis, e.g. I used it in a presentation to the UNICT TF forum at UN NYC in March 2004 in arguing for creation of a new mechanism and in many places since, including the consultations on creating IGF in 2004, the WGIG book in 2005, in four workshops etc. pushing for IG4D to be on the IGF agenda subsequently (see the Sharm book)...  In fact, it’s also in the IGC's July 2005 response to the WGIG report—i.e. the IGF mandate should include "identification of weaknesses and gaps in the governance architecture, i.e. ‘orphaned' or multidimensional issues that do not fall neatly within  the ambit of any existing body.”

It’s fine if you don’t want to use the term now, but it most certainly was not intended to give issues that are subject to no global governance mechanisms a subsidiary or weaker status—precisely the opposite.  And in any event, this is one thing you can’t blame on the technical community :-)

Cheers

Bill