[IRPCoalition] 2014 Brazil Meeting on Internet Governance - Letter supporting Multistakeholder participation

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri Nov 22 18:32:59 EET 2013

+1 All good
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] on behalf of Marianne Franklin [m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:15 AM
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: [IRPCoalition] 2014 Brazil Meeting on Internet Governance - Letter supporting Multistakeholder participation

Dear all

FYI, the following letter below has been drafted through a collaborative
effort across several civil society platforms in order to support
current efforts on the ground, in Brazil and this week's ICANN meeting
in Buenos Aires to ensure that the 2014 Brazilian hosted meeting on
Internet Governance holds to its promise of inclusive and
multistakholder participation at the preparatory level and for the
meeting itself.

****
LETTER FINAL DRAFT
Mr. Paulo Bernardo Silva, Minister of Communications - Minicom

Mr. Virgilio de Almeida, Secretary for Information Technology Policy at
the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation - MCTI

Mr. Valdir Simão, Special Assessor for the Presidency

Emb. Benedicto Fonseca, Director of the Department of Scientific and
Technological Affairs of the Minister of External Relations - MRE and
Mr. Harmut Glaser, Secretariat of the Brazilian Internet Steering
Committee - CGI.br

We, as representatives of three networks that include civil society
organisations and individuals involved in Internet governance, are
writing with reference to preparations for the Global Multistakeholder
Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance that is planned to be held
in São Paulo, Brazil by April 2014.

During the eighth Internet Governance Forum in Bali this year, many of
us met in person, and some others participated remotely and agreed that
the following persons would be delegated to serve as interim Liaisons
from across these networks for purposes of planning the Global Meeting:

* Ms Joana Varon Ferraz

* Ms Carolina Rossini

* Mr Carlos A Afonso

* Ms Laura Tresca

This letter is to express our continuing support for this arrangement as
planning for the meeting takes shape. The above interim Liaisons shall
remain at disposal of the Brazilian authorities in all matters
pertaining to the organisation of the Global Meeting, and we urge that
our Liaisons should in the context of these preparations be invited to
all meetings with all other constituencies as full participants in this
process. We support their work and look forward to hearing of progress
in their reports back to our networks that are made up of a broad
constituency of civil society groups and individuals. They have our
trust and support.

If you have any inquiries about the above matter, please do not hesitate
to contact us at any time, either directly or through the above Liaisons.

Yours sincerely,

etc
******

Please indicate if you support this letter being sent as soon as
possible as the work that Joana, Carolina, Carlos, and Laura have been
doing on behalf of civil society, broadly defined, in this respect needs
support from everyone committed to this meeting being a successful and
constructive one.

If anyone is not clear about why we are proposing this letter, or who
are not up to speed with the Brazilian initiative, please feel free to
ask. There are quite a few people on this list new to all these issues
so do not hesitate to speak up. All those involved will do their best to
clarify for sure.

Thanks all for the time to consider this cross-network initiative.
MF

--
Professor Marianne Franklin
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program