[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Brazil summit

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 17:39:08 EET 2013

Dear all

If I could note that based on its track record, and contributions in
this regard this year along, the IRP Coaltion would continue to
contribute to Output 3 (Substantive input on universal Internet
principles (based on Marco Civil and/or other existing principles
documents).

How it can contribute to other points is for the list to discuss and
decide, so I am noting the above as point of record.

best
MF

On 21/11/2013 15:12, Valeria Betancourt wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 21/11/2013, at 5:32, matthew shears wrote:
>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On 21/11/2013 09:59, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:
>>>
>>> Most of our recent discussion has been about processes for
>>> nominating people to different steering groups.
>>>
>>> I’m interested in the substantive contributions we might make to the
>>> summit itself.
>>>
>>> Assuming the summit addresses high level principles (as prefigured
>>> in President Rouseff’s speech to the UNGA) and proposals for
>>> internet governance, I am interested in working on the following:
>>>
>>> ·Preparing a submission on reforminginternet governance that keep
>>> the dispersed structure and multi-stakeholder participation (which
>>> is likely to include ideas on internationalising ICANN and
>>> strengthening the IGF)
>>>
>>> ·Preparing a submission on the first high level principle dealing
>>> with free expression, privacy etc.  Note that I’m concerned that
>>> privacy protections, if badly expressed, could restrict freedom of
>>> expression unduly so I’ll be looking to assert ICCPR standards on
>>> free expression.
>>>
>>> I d  I doubt that a consensus across the whole of the BB platform is
>>> possible on these issues, judging by exchanges over the last few
>>> months and I’m assuming that different groups will make
>>> submissions.  So at this stage I’m asking if anyone would be
>>> interested in joining an offlist group to put together submissions
>>> along these lines.
>>>

>> Yes, I am.  And contributing to item 2.
>
> I am also interested.  And we would like to contribute to both items.
>
> Valeria
>
>>>     Reminding you of the proposed work plan – I’m volunteering for
>>> item 3 and to contribute to item 2.
>>>
>>> OUTPUTS
>>>
>>>  1. Recommendation on process issues for the conference (remote
>>>     participation, stakeholder representation and selection)
>>>  2. Substantive input on universal Internet principles (based on
>>>     Marco Civil and/or other existing principles documents).
>>>  3. Substantive input on an institutional framework for
>>>     multistakeholder Internet governance including:
>>>      1. Internationalisation of ICANN (based on existing work done
>>>         by Internet Governance Project and/or others).
>>>      2. Orphan issues (based on existing proposals put before the
>>>         WGEC and the recommendations of the Correspondence Group).
>>>

>>> TIMELINE
>>>
>>>  1. Gather volunteers to lead the work by end of November.
>>>  2. First drafts for internal feedback on this list by December 31.
>>>  3. Feedback from main list by January 31.
>>>  4. Recommendations submitted to Brazil and/or other organisers by
>>>     March 1, 2014.
>>>
>>> *Andrew Puddephatt***| *GLOBAL PARTNERS*DIGITAL
>>>
>>> Executive Director
>>>
>>> Development House, 56–64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
>>>
>>> T: +44 (0)20 7549 0336 | M: +44 (0)771 339 9597 | Skype:
>>> andrewpuddephatt
>>> *gp-digital.org*
>>>

>> --

> [...]

Professor Marianne Franklin
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072