[IRP] APC statement to denounce attacks on anonymous online speech by US gov

Norbert Bollow nb
Tue Apr 24 20:17:52 EEST 2012

Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:

> It is on our website with this heading.. but should not be a problem to
> change the heading.
>
> But are you OK with this text in the body of the statement?
>
> "This week, three politically-progressive internet service providers and
> hundreds of their users were attacked by the US Federal Bureau of
> Investigation for supporting the use of the internet by anonymous users."

I personally think that that wording is ok, in particular considering
that it's in the context of an APC statement, so that it's really in a
way shorthand for "three internet service providers who are not only
in the business of being ISPs but also doing something that is in APC's
opinion politically-progressive political action, where 'politically
progressive' means 'going in the direction that APC considers to be the
right kind of progress.'"

In other words, I think it's perfectly ok for us to support this APC
statement, as long as we can do so without applying to ourselves a
label that I'd prefer not to see publicly attached to the IRP
coalition.

Greetings,
Norbert