[IRP] Ten punchy principles

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen
Wed Mar 23 12:44:41 EET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:51:51AM +0000, Dixie Hawtin (Dixie at global-partners.co.uk) wrote:

> I think the punchy principles are fantastic but I have a question
> about the net neutrality principle. It seems to ban all forms of
> traffic control whereas I believe that some forms of traffic control
> are widely considered to be ok (to combat DDOS attacks etc.) so long
> as they are carried out in a non-discriminatory manner.

The key point here is *content-based* traffic control.
That is, control based on the *amount* of traffic is OK
(indeed inevitable consequence of techinical limitations),
but control based on *what* the content is (or from whom)
is not OK.

> Also "uniform access" could be uniformly poor access, and individual
> choice and empowerment is a significant aspect of net neutrality, so
> I propose changing the formation of the principle from "uniform
> access" to "freely access". I propose something like this:

> Neutrality
> Everyone must be able to freely access the Internet's content, free
> from discriminatory prioritization, filtering or traffic control.

I could live with that - although I'd like to keep "censorship"
somewhere - maybe "... free from censorship, filtering and
discriminatory prioritization or traffic control"?

--
Tapani Tarvainen