[IRP] Ten punchy principles

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh
Mon Mar 21 14:32:56 EET 2011

'universal, flexible, and open' access is my suggestion.

I agree 'uniform' is not the objective.

Lee

From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Dixie Hawtin [Dixie at global-partners.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 7:51 AM
To: Lisa Horner; 'Allon Bar'; IRP at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Ten punchy principles

Hello,

I think the punchy principles are fantastic but I have a question about the net neutrality principle. It seems to ban all forms of traffic control whereas I believe that some forms of traffic control are widely considered to be ok (to combat DDOS attacks etc.) so long as they are carried out in a non-discriminatory manner. Also "uniform access" could be uniformly poor access, and individual choice and empowerment is a significant aspect of net neutrality, so I propose changing the formation of the principle from "uniform access" to "freely access". I propose something like this:

Neutrality
Everyone must be able to freely access the Internet's content, free from discriminatory prioritization, filtering or traffic control.

What do you think?
Many thanks,
Dixie