[IRP] Ten punchy principles

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen
Wed Mar 23 12:34:00 EET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 05:13:29PM +0000, Lisa Horner (LisaH at global-partners.co.uk) wrote:

> Parminder - good idea RE equity and social justice. I suggest we
> add "equity" to universality as equality is encompassed within that
> principle.
> And then "social justice" to "rights". So principle 1 is
> "universality and equity" (or equality?) and principle 4 is "Rights
> and Social Justice". What do you think?

I don't like the word "equity" - it is too ambiguous and uncommon
word, prone to different interpretations and misunderstanding,
easily confused with equality.
Indeed I'm not quite sure what it's intended to mean here.
Perhaps simply "fairness"?
But "Universality" by itself feels perfect as the title
of the first principle, adding anything to it feels,
well, less punchy.

Ditto for social justice. Adding it to "Rights" title
doesn't work well, it feels like like "it should be
somewhere and we couldn't think of a better place".
But I don't really think it's needed here at all -
in a sense social justice is on a different level,
overarching principle if you like - too abstract
to be really useful here.

--
Tapani Tarvainen