[IRP] Ten punchy principles

Lisa Horner LisaH
Wed Mar 16 19:13:29 EET 2011

Hi all

I just wanted to say thank you to the punchy working group for all the hard work on the principles...I think they're looking really good and will be an excellent campaigning and outreach complement to the Charter.

Parminder - good idea RE equity and social justice.  I suggest we add "equity" to universality as equality is encompassed within that principle.  And then "social justice" to "rights".  So principle 1 is "universality and equity" (or equality?) and  principle 4 is "Rights and Social Justice".  What do you think?

It would be great to finalise these principles this week, so that we can publish them in time for a meeting being hosted by the Swedish government on freedom of expression and the Internet at the end of the month.  So please do send any other comments and ideas you have by SATURDAY 19th.

Brett has offered to engage the help of a snazzy designer to make them look good and eye catching.  Robert is working hard to set up  the wordpress commenting site for the Charter, and we'll put the principles up there too.  So it's all moving forwards which is very exciting.  Brett also mentioned that the principles had a good reception when he floated them with Access network which is a good start.

Thanks again for all the work! :)

All the best,
Lisa

From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of parminder
Sent: 13 March 2011 17:50
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Ten punchy principles

Should equity and social justice be basic principles too.

On Thursday 10 March 2011 11:19 PM, Brett Solomon wrote:
Dear IRP,

Following on from Lisa's earlier email, I'm pleased to send out the draft ten Punchy Principles for the Internet that have been worked on by a small working group of people from the IRP. The working group was originally formulated at the 2010 Vilnius IGF and includes Lisa Horner and Dixie Hawtin (Global Partners, UK), Brett Solomon and Jochai Ben-Avie (Access, Australia/USA), Henrik Almstr?m (APC, Sweden/South Africa), Karmen Turk (Lawyer, Estonia), Shaila Mistry (Jayco MMI Consulting, USA) and Carlos Affonso de Souza (FGV, Brazil).

The aim is for a version of these principles to be launched together with the online consultation platform for the Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet. They therefore accord with the current version of the Charter. Their purpose is two-fold. Firstly, to help mobilize, shape and inform the community debate on the Charter (Carlos has made it clear how their 10 Brazilian principles <http://www.cgi.br/english/regulations/resolution2009-003.htm> proved very valuable for the Brazilian Civil Framework for the Internet). Secondly, many people have said that they need a punchier advocacy tool which can be used, in conjunction with the longer Charter, as a framework for policy assessment and campaigning. Note: they are NOT designed to be used as a legal document.

Clearly people will have very different views on these (as we have found in the smaller group) but I think they are a good starting point for a discussion. We have done some consultation in our own (Access) community on this draft, and there was some very good feedback which we are happy to share.

As I understand it, the draft punchy principles are now open for discussion here, so that Lisa and the crew can take the final draft forward and put them on the site along with the Charter. Draft principles below.

Brett

------

DRAFT PRINCIPLES

Universality
All humans are born free and equal in dignity and rights, which must respected, protected and fulfilled in the online environment

Accessibility
Everyone has an equal right to access and use a secure and open Internet.

Neutrality
Everyone must have uniform access to the Internet's content, free from prioritization, discrimination, censorship, filtering or traffic control.

Rights
The Internet is a space for the promotion, protection and fulfillment of human rights. Everyone has the duty to respect the rights of all others in the online environment.

Expression
Everyone has the right to hold and express opinions, and to seek, receive, and impart information on the Internet without arbitrary interference or surveillance. Everyone has the right to communicate anonymously online.

Life, liberty and security
The rights to life, liberty, and security must be respected, protected and fulfilled online. These rights must not be infringed upon, or used to infringe other rights, in the online environment.

Privacy
Everyone has the right to privacy online free from surveillance, including the right to control how their personal data is collected, used, disclosed, retained and disposed.

Diversity
Cultural and linguistic diversity on the Internet must be promoted, and technical and policy innovation should be encouraged to facilitate diversity of expression.

Standards and regulation
The Internet's architecture shall be based on open standards that facilitate interoperability and inclusion of all for all.

Governance
Rights must form the legal and normative foundations upon which the Internet operates and is governed. This shall happen in a transparent and multilateral manner, based on principles of openness, inclusive participation and accountability as prescribed by law.

--
Brett Solomon
Access