[IRP] A Christmas Message from the Co-Chairs

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann
Wed Dec 21 07:12:35 EET 2011

Dear IRPers,

as 2011 is drawing to a close, we'd like to touch base with you a final
time this year.

It has been an exciting year for Internet Governance, and a successful
one for the IRP.

We have launched the 10 IRPs (_http://goo.gl/fzprK_) and had them
translated by volunteers into more than 20 languages. We have developed
the Beta Version of the Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the
Internet (http://irpcharter.org/) ? a more refined version of original
Charter taking into account extensive consultation and debate both
within and outside of the Coalition. We have created a ?Commentary on
the Charter? which defines how existing International law applies to
human rights on the Internet
(http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/419). We have a new website
(<http://irpcharter.org/>http://internetrightsandprinciples.org
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/>), are active on Facebook,
Twitter, FlickR and YouTube and - finally - we have a new co-Chair in
Matthias (_http://goo.gl/pSJmj_).

In late November, three members of the IRP (Dixie, Wolfgang and Johan)
appeared on a panel at a Vienna conference on the Council of Europe
Internet Governance Strategy 2012-2015 to discuss what is needed to
enable and empower citizens on the internet. The Council of Europe is
interested in collaborating with us on an initiative in this area in the
new year. We will keep everyone updated and we will look into forming a
smaller group of volunteer to work on this, early next year.

In related rights-specific news, the Internet&Society Collaboratory will
dedicate its 5th initiative to human rights on the Internet (
http://en.collaboratory.de/initiatives/05/application). Our co-chair,
Matthias, will be thematic lead for the initiative and ensure that we'll
be kept in the loop and that our work - especially the 10 IRPs - will be
represented.

A final administrative thought for the year we'd ask you to reflect on:
Since we have such a wonderful site, it would be great to have it see
more traffic. Therefore we would like to add a blog to it which could be
filled by members on a regular basis. This could ensure that IRP
strengthens its profile as an important knowledge base of Internet
rights and principles, their challenges and their implementation.  Would
you like to write about the challenges that Internet Governance is
facing in 2012 perhaps?

Over 2012 we have seen the threats against human rights on the Internet
grow. This should remind us of the importance of an open network to help
promote positive agendas. At the same time a number of declarations of
principles have underlined the central importance of human rights. 2012
should see us enter into an implementation phase. Though the time talk
is never over, the time to act has now begun.

A very big thank you to everyone for being engaged to whatever extent
with the IRP over the last year. We hope to achieve even more in 2012.

Wishing you all happy holidays!

Your IRP co-chairs
Dixie and Matthias

--
Matthias C. Kettemann, Mag. iur. (Graz), LL.M. (Harvard)
Co-Chair | Internet Rights and Principles Coalition
|http://internetrightsandprinciples.org
<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/>

/++ Check out our 10 Internet Rights and Principles  - in 20 languages |
http://goo.gl/fzprK/ /++/

Institute of International Law and International Relations
University of Graz
Universit?tsstra?e 15/A4, 8010 Graz, Austria
T | +43 316 380 6711 (office)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobile)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at <mailto:matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at>
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com