[IRP] Problem of abject poverty and hunger (was Re: Call notes...)

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen
Wed Aug 10 14:53:02 EEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:34:42PM +0200, M.I.Franklin (cos02mf at gold.ac.uk) wrote:

> My idea that this coalition might want to take an opportunity to
> show some solidarity with a humanitarian crisis that is happening in
> the host-country is not to imply that attending the IGF contributes
> to the crisis.

Indeed the opposite: IGF and associated activities, up to and
including any touristy activities of participants, contributes
to Kenya's economy, and Kenya needs it more than ever.

> Nor am I implying that IG issues and the deeper
> causes of this crisis are synonymous. And nor am I suggesting that
> te coalition should respond to every crisis that occurs around the
> world; this delineation we made clear when deliberating over what to
> do when the Tunisian and Egyptian events occurred. We have a clear
> focus and agenda and limited resources.

Yes. The present humanitarian crisis has very little to do
with our agenda.

That said, I would not find it inappropriate if someone were
to organize a fundraising event of some kind for those who do
go there, under the banner of IRP or otherwise.

--
Tapani Tarvainen