[IRP] FW: Draft Internet Charter Rev. 31082010

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa
Mon Sep 6 03:16:57 EEST 2010

Just from a technical and documentation point of view from a great
deal of experience (I write for various technology magazines and am a
full-time web editor). Internet with the capital "I" has always been
used to indicate the Network of Networks. The internet with the small
caps "i" has always been used to indicate the inter-networks created
when joining networks to each other. So one is a noun, an entity that
is indicative if a unique invention of technology and the other is a
process.

The US perception is well indeed but please be reminded that within
Asia, Asia Pacific, Austral-Asia, Middle East and Africa todate, the
Internet is Internet and the inter-net is inter-net.

After ten to fifteen years, it will continue to remain the same so
will the entity and the process.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Sylvia Caras <sylvia.caras at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the cites, Olivier.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_capitalization_conventions also
> discusses some points of view in a broad way.
>
> I'm left concluding that there's something deep and philosophic about
> the original and evolving usages, as well as regional/linguistic
> differences. ?I think the decision for the Charter should be made
> based on what we think the rights will apply to tomorrow, five years
> from now, ... ?And no, I have no idea what that might be or mean in
> terms of the grammar. ?I do think it's not a trivial issue. ?And there
> may be many other important things to decide instead of this.
>
> Sylvia

Regards.