Don Cameron donc
Thu Mar 4 21:50:29 EET 2010

>  AOB: Google, Italy and criminal liability for content

.         Max raised the Google Italy case as a huge concern, saying that
such liability would cripple expression online.  


May we also note how this acknowledgement of corporate responsibilities for
online media interests also supports the right to privacy for all persons.
Media interests should not be promoted above those of the individual. The
Google case places responsibilities on publishers (Google), not on generic
ISP and other hosting providers. Google has been a publishing/editing
business since Jul 2008 by way of Knol. 





From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
[mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Lisa
Sent: Friday, 5 March 2010 5:56 AM
To: irp


Hi all


Thanks to those who joined for a productive call.  I've pasted some minutes
below.  As always, if you have anything to add or change please do.


All the best,



IRP Coalition Monthly Meeting Notes: 4th March 2010


Participants: Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza; Chad Lubelsky; Lee Hibbard;
Max Senges; Sivasubramanian Muthusamy; Dixie Hawtin; Lisa Horner. 


1)      Update from Geneva Open Consultations


Lisa attended the consultations and provided a brief update on the call:

.         The statement that we submitted is reflected in the synthesis

.         There was some support for incorporating human rights into the
main agenda from a number of participants, but this hasn't happened.  A
Development Agenda for IG has been put forward by the MAG as a main session
theme, and there could be scope for incorporating human rights concerns into

.         A discussion of the role of the dynamic coalitions was on the
agenda, but wasn't really discussed...Nitin commented that no one was
interested.  The main thrust of the comments seemed to be that the
coalitions aren't doing enough to feed information back about their
activities to the secretariat.  I don't think it was levelled at us as we've
been quite good with our reporting!  

.         We discussed on the call whether we should make specific
recommendations to the secretariat about what exactly we'd like the role of
the coalitions to be in the IGF, and what support we need from them.  

Action Point: Max has already done some thinking/had some conversations
about this, and will put some points down to share with the list.


.         DEADLINES: 

o   We have to submit a report on our activities to the secretariat by 30TH
MARCH. As we've already submitted a report on our Sharm meeting, I don't
think this needs to be long.  Just an update on the elections for steering
committee, charter process and regional outreach.  

Action Point: We need to write the report. ANY VOLUNTEERS TO PUT SHORT


o   Proposals for workshops have to be submitted by 15TH APRIL.  

o   We discussed on the call about submitting a proposal on users' rights
(as previously suggested by Robert).  The Spanish presidency of the EU's
Granada Strategy proposes work on a users rights charter, and so we will try
to engage with that.

Action Point: Lisa will follow up on this with Lee.


o   We also discussed possibilities for submitting a proposal on
intermediary liability from a human rights perspective.  Lisa, Lee, Chad and
Max expressed interest in that.

Action Point: We will follow up internally, and discuss possibilities of
working together.


2)      Update on regional initiatives, and opportunities for outreach

a.       Update on Brazil Bill of Rights process and outreach opps.

b.      Update on Eurodig process 

.         We discussed options for enhancing participation, inclusiveness
and regional diversity of the coalition through outreach.  There was general
agreement that it was perhaps too early to talk about creating regional
"hubs", but that we should be doing regional outreach.  Working with the
Diplo Foundation, and holding IRP events at regional IGFs are options.  We
should also be reaching out about the Charter at regional/country events.

Action Point: Carlos has agreed to take this forward in Latin America.  Chad
will look into contacts/opportunities for working with the West and East
African IGFs.  If people on the list have any other regional
contacts/involvement, please share!


.         Lee provided an update on the Eurodig process.  The agenda is now
coming together, and there are a number of sessions which present good
opportunities for discussing human rights issues.  It's an open process, so
if people are interested in getting involved in shaping specific sessions
they can contact Lee.  The website is here: http://www.eurodig.org/

.         We agreed that it would be a good idea to pull out the main points
from discussions about human rights at each of the regional events, and
compile them into a summary to present in Lithuania.  

Action Point: We'll need people attending each of the events to act as
rapporteurs, to then feed back so that we can compile a report.  Volunteers


3)      Charter Process

.         The expert group now has participation from experts in South
Africa (Andrew Rens), Argentina (Roberto Saba) and China (Wang Sixin), as
well as Meryem, Rikke and Wolfgang.

.         They are starting their work, and will feed back to Lisa on
progress soon ( 22nd March, tbc).

.         The meeting between the coalition and the experts has been
confirmed for SUNDAY 9TH MAY in Geneva, the day before the IGF open

Action Point: Put the 9th May in our diaries!


4)      Potential for involvement in ICANN registrants rights charter

.         We've been approached by members of alac and ncsg to get involved
in this process.

.         Max provided a brief background on the conversations that were had
on the subject at the ICANN meeting in Mexico.  We haven't done any work on
it since then.

.         We need to assess exactly what the process is and how we can be

Action Point: Could those moving in ICANN circles let us know what is
happening, and how people should contribute.  We probably need a focal point
in the IRP to lead on this - any volunteers? Rudi and Rafik have expressed


5)      Workplan, including call for volunteers to maintain/develop website.

.         We briefly discussed whether we should move our drupal website to
another platform to make it easier to maintain.  Max suggested using the
google platform, and sent round an idea of what it would look like.

.         We agreed that interested parties should discuss this separately.

Action point: Max, Robert and Lisa to discuss.  If anyone else is interested
in participating, let us know!


6)      AOB: Google, Italy and criminal liability for content

.         Max raised the Google Italy case as a huge concern, saying that
such liability would cripple expression online.  

.         We discussed whether the coalition could issue a statement on
intermediary liability.  It was mentioned that authoring such statements can
be a useful process in itself.  We agreed we would take this forward.

Action Point: Max to draft a statement to post to the list.




Lisa Horner

Head of Research & Policy  Global Partners and Associates

338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK

Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7867 795859

LisaH at global-partners.co.uk   <http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org/pipermail/irp-internetrightsandprinciples.org/attachments/20100305/5701717d/attachment-0001.htm>

More information about the IRP mailing list