[IRP] IRP update

Lisa Horner LisaH
Thu Jul 1 14:08:15 EEST 2010

Hi all

Firstly, apologies for not having been in touch on the list much since our May meeting in Geneva.  Some updates from my end:

1)The Charter.
* The experts are still working on it at the moment which means we've missed our tentative date of 30th June to get a version to the coalition.  I hope the draft will be ready in the next couple of weeks.
* Lee is looking into whether there may be possibilities to get feedback on different sections from Council of Europe experts before the IGF in September, and Giacomo is also looking into whether EBU experts could also participate in that meeting.  Other groups are also interested in the Charter, including Frank La Rue, the Special Rapporteur for freedom of opinion and expression.  He hopes to be there when we launch version 1.0 at Vilnius.

2) IGF.
* The IRP coalition and the freedom of expression coalitions have been granted meeting slots in the agenda for Vilnius in September.  I guess we want to focus on the Charter in our meeting, but do send ideas through to the list if you'd like to use the time to discuss other meetings/do other work.
* A number of coalition members have been working on a proposal on freedom of expression and intermediary liability.  Due to the large number of proposals, we've merged with other groups including Article 19, EFF and Council of Europe.  The proposal was accepted at the IGF planning meeting this week, so we're starting the in-depth planning process now.  The plan is for the process and session itself to be participatory, so we'll be sending more info on that when it's ready.
* There have been some conversations about how we can all coordinate with each other when we're at the IGF, so if you have any ideas on that please send them through.  I suggest the coalition also has a lunchtime business meeting on the first day so that we can update and coordinate.
* Please could people also send through any details of rights-related work shops that have been accepted?
* I'm participating in the organization of the main session on Security, Openness and Privacy along with a wider group of people.  The exact questions that the session will address haven't been decided yet, but I'm hoping to be able to consult the coalition on that so that you can input ideas...if that's going to be possible I'll let you know.

3) National and regional IGFs
* We're trying to pull together any info on human rights from the regional IGFs and, if possible, insights from national IGFs too.  Please let us know if you'd like to participate in that process, or if you have insights to share from any national and regional IGFs you've been to.

4) Coordinating with ICANN
* Rafik and Olivier have begun to put together a few pages on possibilities and prospects for coordinating with At Large and NCSG.  They'll hopefully be able to share with us soon.

I think that's it for now.  If anyone else has any updates or news to share, it'd be great to hear.  It'd also be good to organize a conference call soon...let's pencil in Thursday 22nd July.  Please let me know if that'd be a good date for you.  We can discuss strategies for Vilnius and the Charter then.

All the best,
Lisa

Lisa Horner
Head of Research & Policy  Global Partners and Associates
338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7867 795859
LisaH at global-partners.co.uk<mailto:lisah at global-partners.co.uk>  www.global-partners.co.uk<http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>