[IRP] Outcomes of call on right to access/right to the Internet.

Benedek, Wolfgang wolfgang.benedek@uni-graz.at wolfgang.benedek
Fri Dec 10 09:29:24 EET 2010

Dear all,

In my view this discussion is taking place at different levels. All rights identified in the Charter together make up for a right to the internet, which itself is not specific enough to be operational, but needs to be broken down in all the component rights.

The right to access to the internet, however, is specific and operational, thus already enshrined in some constitutions and laws, making it enforcable. It also has the advantage that there is some common understanding of it, partly due to successive IGFs, where large debates have taken place in this respect. So we can benefit from a common understanding.

If we want to speak of a right to the internet, then this could be expressed in the preamble explaining the overall concerns of the Charter.

Best regards

Wolfgang Benedek