[IRP] Outcomes of call on right to access/right to the Internet.

Michael Gurstein gurstein
Fri Dec 10 01:07:48 EET 2010

Hi Meryem,

Without entering into a discussion of Wikileaks as per your detailed
analysis I would just say that in the absence of the Internet--little of
what has happened with Wikileaks would have been possible (or even
conceivable)--the scale, distribution, global political and other impact not
to speak of the second order impacts as various parties attempt to respond
along with the responses to the responses and so on.

As I understand the current moves against the site they are not simply to
deny "access" to that site but rather to deny to wikileaks and its
organizers the entire range of opportunities available through the internet
(transactions, anonymity, credit, visiblity, and so on and so on...

This seems to me to go rather beyond issues of "freedom to publish... or to
access information.

Mike