[IRP] On "right to access the Internet" versus "right to the internet"

parminder parminder
Mon Dec 6 18:34:10 EET 2010

Hi All

Apart from the fact that we can see that a (very) large number of people
see right to Internet as a basic right (probably more than people,
generally, saw education as a right, when it was instituted as a human
right in 1948), and that mnay governments have already made moves in
this direction, as I had argued earlier, this should follow from the
very logic that we are framing a charter of rights on the Internet.

I am sure it is meaningless to specify a charter of rights on the
Internet without starting from the 'right to the Internet'.

I have argued here earlier about the limitation of the term 'existing
rights'  - remember how Frank too said at the HR event soem CS orgs
organized in Vilnius  - that rights are always evolving and thus it is
not useful to freeze them. In India if we speak about rights, a normally
politically aware/ active person is likely to think of right to food, to
livelihood etc  in which path-breaking work is taking place ....

In any case, even if we were to provisionally accept the usage of the
term 'existing rights' when we try to apply to a new domain, there still
have to be that overall unbreally right to that domain, which frames all
other rights, that may merely be translations of existing rights to the
new domain.

Let me make a somewhat asymmetrically illustration. i came across this
document speaking of translating existing right in the LGBT space or for
sexual minorities, as they re also known. We can speak about their right
of association,  cultural expression etc etc, but all this comes only
after we assert a more basic right to freedom of sexual orientation.

Similarly, if I do not have the 'right to the Internet' all other
Internet rights are not only meaningless to me, but they are meaningless
in themselves, as 'universal. rights.

It is not that we begin to write separate charters for rights as
applying to all kinds of spaces - airports, sports arenas etc etc... If
Internet as a new space or domain is considered important enough to
write a new charter of rights, then a right to that domain/ space is a
prior right. For me it almost goes logically, though my argument is
principally political.

I think, the charter must begin with a 'right to the Internet',

and then, as is per the present sceheme of the document under
consideration, it should explicate this right, first in general terms

in negative terms, that this right may not be curtailed unless....

but also in positive terms (which is not present at present) mentioning
something to the effect that - access to a basic level of open Internet
must be provided to all

then we can describe the right to the internet in 4 ways (as at present)

QoS

freedom of choice of systems, application (pl add this) and software -
also add open standards here apart from mentioning interoperability

Digital exclusion -

Network neutrality (i think it shd stay here, and not in FoE part, NN
ensures much more than FoE, it ensures a host of social, cultural,
economic and political rights). I think right to waht kind of Internet,
is an important part of right to the Internet, because some kind of
Internet (compromised vis a vis NN quality) is in any case something
interested dominant parties will be ready to provide to almost everyone
-- the issue is that this doesnot fulfill the obligation to ensuring the
'right to the Internet' - it shd be an NN Internet, that all should be
able to access.

Thought I will throw in some ideas that cna be discussed in the cof call
tomorrow.

Parminder