[IRP] On "right to access the Internet" versus "right to the internet"

Loreto Corredoira loretoc
Wed Dec 1 04:55:16 EET 2010

I agree with Slim. And in fact the right to knowledge and the right to
participate and to share it is already in the 1948 UN Chart (art. 27).
Technology is not the point, but the access, by any mean or any device.
Loreto

2010/11/30 Slim Amamou <slim at alixsys.com>

> hi,
> I've just joined after reading this statement : http://is.gd/hZYVj
>
> And I wanted to make a comment on "the right to access the internet".
> This statement is antagonist with net neutrality. You don't  access
> the internet, you access knowledge *over* the internet. Where Internet
> is wires/cables/fibre/tubes and otherwise neutral technolgy by means
> of which we access knowledge. So "the right to access
> knowledge/information over the internet" is more precise and
> semantically correct. Otherwise, if we want to keep the concept
> abstract and more inclusive, "right to the internet" is better, in my
> opinion.
>
> I understand that the purpose of the charter is also to ensure equal
> access to the wire of the internet. But framing human rights around
> specific technology is  unsustainable, in my opinion. I think that the
> more general concept of access to knowledge should be a human right.
> But if we have to be pragmatic and center it around the Internet, we
> should mitigate it a bit.
>
> I searched the archives and did not find this topic discussed, I'm
> sorry if I missed something.
>
> --
> Slim Amamou | ???? ?????
> http://alixsys.com