[IRP] layers approach to stratify internet governance

Bodle, Robert Robert_Bodle
Sat Sep 19 03:08:04 EEST 2009

Thanks Lisa,

Very helpful - your explanation.  Reading a background SA on WSIS  (Dutton & Petu in Routledge Handbook of Internet Politics), this paragraph also helped me "get it" (relationships between the two focal points) (i sometimes gloss these things in my online exuberance):

"An illustration of the value of the classification [of internet governance issues] is the way in which the WSIS process often artificially separated internet governance from development issues, rather that treating them as separate but interrelated fields . . . this separation created a perception of the summit as being technically oriented and less relevant to development issues. An important role for a coordinating body such as the IGF could be to highlight this interdependence by alerting . . .  affected stakeholders to the internet governance issues of intrinsic relevance to their development activities . . . (p. 395, 2009).

In this sense then, the objectives of this document is to tease out the human rights implications of each layer.

cheers,
-r

From: Lisa Horner [lisa at global-partners.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:21 AM
To: Bodle, Robert; Max Senges; irp
Subject: RE: [IRP] layers approach to stratify internet governance

Thanks Robert - that's really useful and interesting.

When I was first thinking about what "layers" might be useful to think about in a human rights approach a couple of years ago, I did a similar exercise, looking at other people's conceptions and trying to pull out the most relevant layers and wording.

Just FYI...Anriette, Max and I had a quick conversation in Geneva which really helped me to clarify the different things we're talking about and trying to achieve.  We realised there are 2 different focal points, similar I think to what Meryem was getting at with the need for some kind of matrix.

1) What do our human rights actually mean in the internet age and environment. (e.g.at the most basic level,  free expression prohibits online censorship; the right to association means we shouldn't be prevented from organising online and that we should be able to have an online identity etc).

2) How do we actually build an internet that supports these rights to the fullest extent....what principles do we need (e.g. net neutrality, open standards etc).

Thinking about and fleshing out both of these areas is really important.  (1) requires human rights to be the starting point.  (2) needs us to think about the different "layers" or areas of governance so that we ensure all aspects of the internet environment support rather than undermine the maintenance/building of an internet that supports rights.

We thought that the new Charter could be written in these two phases, and I started to sketch out what that might look like on the Google doc.  I think Max is doing some more work on that now.  Would be good to hear any thoughts people have.

All the best,

Lisa