[IRP] layers approach to stratify internet governance

Meryem Marzouki marzouki
Tue Sep 15 21:15:53 EEST 2009

Hi Lisa and all,

You're right that it's difficult to make a decision in the abstract.
Let me make a methodological proposal: why not taking the issue from
both sides, and trying to converge? The idea is to work on a matrix
where rights and layers are crossed, and the matrix elements would be
the requirements for a given right to be implemented/enforced/upheld
at a given layer (if relevant).

These requirements could be positive or negative, depending on the
right and the layer. Moreover, the requirements could be of various
sorts: legal, economical, technical, behavioral, etc.

Regarding layers, Anriette's list is probably worth to consider, i.e.:
"physical layer (e.g. the internet backbone, radio spectrum,
computers), a protocol or logical layer (e.g. open standards to
ensure all sectors of the internet ?talk? to each other), and content
and applications."
In my opinion, there is probably a "usages" layer to be added.

Then, and only then, a charter or whatever kind of document might be
written.

Although this reference is old (2003, but after all UDHR is even
older:)), you may have a look at page 3 of http://www.iris.sgdg.org/
actions/smsi/hr-wsis/hris-caucus-input.pdf for an example of a
translation of the right to education and knowledge into different
requirements, which can easily fit in different layers.

Hope this helps,
Meryem

Le 15 sept. 09 ? 16:44, Lisa Horner a ?crit :