[IRP] Vedrò position statement on Internet Regulation

Robin Gross robin
Fri Sep 11 19:29:19 EEST 2009

I agree with Katitza.

 From the page:
"... the protection of fundamental rights such as privacy, copyright
etc."

Copyright is a statutory right, and hardly a "fundamental" right
under the law.   Copyright is a means to an end (to encourage
innovation), not an end itself.

I'm not sure what the purpose the statement/document is, but this
point is clearly wrong.

Thanks,
Robin

On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Katitza Rodriguez wrote:

> Dear Max
>
> I am completely against to this specific phrase where you put
> privacy together with copyright in such as negative connotation.
> The statement we already signed already reflect the vision of many
> of this group.
>
> Best,
> Katitza
>

> On Sep 11, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Max Senges wrote:
>
>> Dear IRPlers
>>
>> IRP steering committee member Marco Pancini and myself
>> participated in a 3 day think-tank workshop, where we discussed
>> Internet regulation especially in the Italian context. We
>> collabowrote a position statement that strongly features Human
>> Rights and a user centered approach to Internet Governance. And we
>> managed to call for and find commitment to bootstrap an Italian
>> version/complement to the Chilling Effects clearing house for
>> Online Rights infringement cases (www.chillingeffects.org pretty
>> well setup for the USA with Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley and many
>> others feeding the site).
>>
>> Marco kindly provided an english version of our position
>> statement, which I just put online @ http://docs.google.com/View?
>> id=ajcs86p9dx2s_20d2g3nwd9
>>
>> I think there are a couple of good points there, which we might
>> want to pick up during our workshop this Sunday.
>>
>> Best,
>> Max
>> < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : >
>>
>> Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
>> committed citizens can change the world.
>> Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
>> ?----------------------Margaret Mead

>> Dr. Max Senges
>> Chair Internet Rights and Principles Coalition
>>
>> www.internetrightsandprinciples.org

> internetrightsandprinciples.org

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org