[IRP] Report for IGF about our activties 2008/09

Emily Laidlaw emily
Wed Sep 9 16:34:57 EEST 2009

Hi Lisa and Max,

First off, thank you for your paper. It's excellent, and I think it is great
preparatory reading for our meeting on Sunday too.

My only commentary would be to tease out the relationship between law and
regulation more.  This might require no more than a paragraph, or even just
a footnote or tweaking of the language.  I am referring to section 2 of your
paper and Figure 1.  The relationship between the two is not clear, but
neither are they the same thing exactly.  Depending on how regulation and/or
how regulator/ee is defined, it can be broader or narrower than law.  Roger
Brownsword is particularly articulate in discussing this in his book *Rights,
Regulation and the Technological Revolution *(2008)*. *I'll just quote him
here, as it is a nice summary:

'If regulation is primarily about channelling behaviour, then legislation is
certainly a species of regulation.  However, to the extent that regulators
rely on instruments and strategies other than legislation in their sustained
and focused attempts to alter the behaviour of others, regulation is broader
than law.  On the other hand, to the extent that regulation does not
encompass such tasks as constitution-making and dispute-resolution, then law
is broader than regulation.  We might infer, therefore, that while law and
regulation intersect with one another, they are not co-extensive.' (p6-7)
It seems in your paper that law and regulation are sometimes used
interchangeably, or that law is treated as a type of regulation.  If that is
the case, I would make it more explicit that this is how it is being
approached for the purposes of this paper, while acknowledging the
difficulty in this relationship.  Setting up this framework will be helpful
when then adding the human rights layer to the discussion.

And one last point.  The conclusion is very strong and I think it will make
your paper even stronger to draw some of it up to the introduction as well.
In particular, I think the points in the paragraph on page 23 starting
'Human rights are violated around the world in the name of cultural and
religious claims' should be emphasized at the beginning.

Emily