[IRP] [charter] right to life liberty and security of person --- relevant for internet governance

Emily Laidlaw emily
Wed Oct 21 15:13:35 EEST 2009

This has been a very interesting and useful discussion.  I am short on
time, but wanted to quickly respond that perhaps we can see this work
on the charter where we examine the articles under the UDHR and flesh
them out for the Internet as principles, as a stepping stone or
exercise in the sense that once we work through it there might be
certain issues, such as this issue of accessibility, that might not be
adequately dealt with as a principle.  This might not mean it needs to
be set out as a new right (I am not going to way into that discussion
at the moment, though the discussion today on that topic has been very
useful I think), but might not be adequately addressed as an
interpretation of an existing right either. Access is an interesting
one because it consistently arises for the enjoyment of any of the
rights set out in the UDHR thus becoming a supe-principle of sorts.

Emily