[IRP] Sign on letter for freedom of expression

Internet Freedom freedom4internet
Fri Oct 16 22:41:35 EEST 2009

Dear all,

I wanted to forward  a letter that we are trying to get signatures on?some
explanation is below:

The letter is aimed at an upcoming meeting in Geneva of the ?Ad Hoc
Committee on the Elaboration of Complementary Standards,? chaired by
Algeria, that is examining potential gaps within the existing International
Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
(ICERD).  This committee was set up as a follow on to the Durban process.
States have already been asked to submit brief documents outlining their
views on the issue of the ICERD and the compilation of those submissions is
attached. The submissions of the Africa Group (pp. 29-32) and the OIC (pp.
39-41) contain extremely troubling language.  In particular, note the vision
of the OIC regarding this new legal mechanism, which is pasted below.  There
is a real danger that these groups will succeed in creating an international
legal mechanism that requires states to place legal restrictions on language
and speech deemed ?defamatory? or insulting to religions.

Our thinking is to submit a joint statement that includes major freedom of
expression groups, including IFEX members, which opposes the efforts to
create new international law criminalizing defamation of religions.  The
letter will be sent to all members of the Ad Hoc Committee, as well as to
Navi Pillay, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

The Ad Hoc Committee Meeting will convene in Geneva for two weeks (October
19-30).  According to the Program of Work, the discussion of issues related
to religious defamation will begin on Wednesday, October 21.  For this
reason, we are putting the deadline for signatures on Tuesday at 12:00 p.m.
(noon) EST.

Regards,

Robert Guerra