[IRP] edits made to the charter - articles 26, 27, 28

M.I.Franklin M.I.Franklin
Mon Oct 12 16:34:25 EEST 2009

Dear all

I've added some very provisional edits to Articles 26-28. They are the last
2-3 per article. I think they speak for themselves in terms of what I think
could be included ehre. That said, I am sure that the wording, and indeed
placement, may not be to everyone's taste but these arise also from recent
experience with ICTs and virtual learning environments in the classroom
and, needless to say, previous research.

Looking forward to integrating the current wish-list in these articles into
more coherent, and focused statements!

yours
MF

--On 11 October 2009 19:55 +0800 Rebecca MacKinnon
<rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,?
>

> On the last call it was agreed that we'd post to the list after making
> major additions or changes to the Charter of Human Rights and Principles
> on the
> Internet.?http://irc.wiki.apc.org/index.php/Charter_of_Human_Rights_and_
> Principles_on_the_Internet
>

> I added some bullet points to some of the various articles,
> including:?Article 6-11: Legal rights; Article 12 - Privacy; Article 19
> - Freedom of Expression; and Article 21 - Participation in Government.
> Please click on the "history" tab to see the exact changes.
>

> I also fleshed out the preamble, as promised. I based my changes and
> additions primarily on some concepts from Lisa & Max's paper, as well as
> the larger ongoing discussion about multi-stakeholderism, internet
> governance, and human rights that has been taking place on this list and
> several other lists, as well as various other things I've been reading
> and writing. It aims to make a case for human rights as a core component
> of multi-stakeholder Internet governance.?Please feel free to add,
> improve, or erase and start over if it's not the right thing. For
> everybody's convenience, here's how the preamble currently reads:?
>

> --
>
> The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was the product of
> negotiations between government representatives at the United Nations.
> States have an obligation to uphold and advance these rights. This
> includes taking action to protect people from the violation of rights by
> third parties. Rights are balanced with responsibilities: the individual
> is expected to respect others and their rights.
>
> The Internet is emerging as the foundation of global communication, with
> other communications media, from broadcast to mobile phones, gradually
> converging around internet-based networks. Thus, the Internet offers
> tremendous new opportunities for people all over the world to realize
> their rights as enshrined in the UDHR.
>
> This will only be possible, however, if the public interest and human
> rights are held by governments, companies, and individuals to be the
> primary criteria for decision-making in Internet governance, the setting
> of global technical standards, and the passing of local, national and
> international laws regulating the use or deployment of the Internet and
> related ICT's.
>
> While the Internet began as a U.S.-government funded project, and while
> all governments play an essential role in the deployment of Internet
> infrastructure around the world, its growth and evolution has primarily
> been driven by the private sector and the energies of more than a billion
> individual Internet users. The Internet has become a globally
> interconnected resource: actions taken by users, businesses, or
> governments in one country shape the nature and function of the network
> for everybody all over the world.

> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW