[IRP] WE NEED YOU - crucial phase of drafting Charter of Human Rights and Principles on the Internet

Lisa Horner lisa
Mon Oct 5 13:18:56 EEST 2009

Hi all

I volunteered in the call on Friday to put together a note on the
background to the Charter/what's been discussed so far for people who
are new to the process.  I've jotted some notes down below.  I didn't
realise that much of this is already on the 'main page' of the wiki, but
hope that this is still useful.  Bits in the "suggested approach"
section below are open to discussion.

I noticed that the main wiki page says "please refrain from using the
discussion section".  Why is that?  I think it would be useful to keep
the discussion on the mailing list, but to also keep a record of it on
the discussion page?  That way people who come to the process half way
through can see the reasoning behind various language etc. (for example
- I'd find it useful for the exchange on net neutrality between Lee and
Ian to be posted on the discussion page).  Can we suggest that any
lengthy emails with reasoning etc are both sent to the list and posted
on the discussion page?

Thanks,

Lisa

The Charter is a revision of the APC Internet Rights Charter.  The
approach that we are taking to edit the Charter was discussed at the
Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic Coalition meeting in Geneva on
13th September 2009 (see draft minutes at
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AbEcBWyGO2nQZGQ4YmM3Z2ZfMGM1cG5rYmZn&h
l=en), and subsequently on the dynamic coalition mailing list.

We have agreed:

a)      To split the charter into two sections:

1)      What do our human rights (as defined in the UDHR) mean in the
context of the internet?

2)      What policies do we need in order to uphold these rights (e.g.
how do we maintain/build an internet that supports rights).

b)      To use rights language only where rights have been established
in international human rights jurisprudence.  Otherwise, to frame
desirables as principles.  We will work with human rights experts to get
the language right.

c)       To create a multi-level document, with links through to
relevant texts, case law and documents.

Suggested approach (most discussed in 2nd conference call):

-          The Charter is open for anybody to edit, and participants are
encouraged to send the link to the wiki to people who might be
interested.

-          At the moment, people have committed themselves to work on
certain sections by a set date.  That doesn't preclude contributions
from other people.  We agreed to work on section 1 until 15th October,
and section2 after that.

-          We will work to have a draft version of the Charter ready for
the IGF in Egypt (15th November).  We will work to raise awareness about
the Charter at the IGF, and use the event encourage other people to
participate in its continued editing and finalisation.

-          Everyone who edits the wiki automatically has a user page
created for them.  Participants are encouraged to fill this in with some
information about themselves so that we can get to know each other.