[IRP] APC rights charter / Internet bill of rights

Lisa Horner lisa
Fri Jun 12 16:15:27 EEST 2009

Hi all

Sorry for joining this discussion so late, and thanks again to APC for
inviting our participation in the review of the charter.  I just have a
couple of questions to the folk at APC, and a couple of wider
comments/questions...

APC - Would it be possible to give us a bit of background about why
you've decided to review the charter?  I think that might help guide the
editing process.  What was the process of creating the original charter,
and are there any specific issues that you think now need to be
addressed? Did you have feedback from different people about what might
make it more useful, and how do you envisage using the charter in the
future?  Finally, is there a timescale/deadline for this?

IRP coalition members - When the coalition name changed from "bill of
rights" to "IRP", there was a fairly large contingent of people who were
keen to still work on an internet bill of rights.  But there haven't
been any responses to this invitation from APC to work on this charter.
Is there any reason for that...is this the kind of thing that people had
in mind?  Or is it just a case of not having enough time...I know we'd
all like more of that!

Finally, I was wondering about the use of the term "rights" in the
charter.  I personally fall into the camp of people saying we don't need
new rights for the internet - just that we need to interpret and apply
the human rights that are already enshrined in international law.  I
think that initiatives like this charter are an important way of doing
that, and I realise that the charter explicitly says that that the new
rights are rooted in the UDHR.  But for me, the statements in the
charter are "principles" that flesh out the meaning of our human rights
in the context of the internet.  I think that a wider range of people
might engage with the charter if we simply change "all people should
have the right to..." to "all people should be able to" or other such
language.

This may seem like semantics, but I think it might make a significant
difference to how the wider human rights community and other
stakeholders view the charter.  However, I'd still like to participate
in this process if we stick with rights.  But I just wanted to open the
discussion up to see what people think...

All the best,

Lisa