[IRP] monthly meeting minutes 17th July 2009

Lisa Horner lisa
Thu Jul 16 20:19:57 EEST 2009

On the call: Max, Sylvia and Lisa

1) The Internet Rights Charter
We discussed ways of encouraging more people to participate in the revision of the charter, and are concerned about the lack of participation.  We discussed how to distinguish between "rights" and "principles" in the charter, and agreed that we would start to look at how this might work in practice.  Working on some specific examples might help to prompt more discussion.  Editing some of the speicfic rights might help to generate more discussion.  We'll also try and identify experts for each of the sections of the charter who can feed in their knowledge and ideas.

2) The IRP coalition meeting in Geneva, 13th September.
We've had a great suggestion of a social purpose community centre in Geneva and will try and get that booked up soon.  We'll definitely have an internet connection for remote participation, so please everyone on this list feel that it's your meeting too, even if you can only feed into the discussions online.  Global Partners will try to cover the cost of the venue, and if anyone else has any ideas for soliciting funding for refreshments and widening participation that'd be great.

We need to work on spreading the word about the meeting and getting confirmations of participants.  Please everyone let us know if you can come virtually or in person, and help us to get the message out.  Also let us know if you think there are specific people we could invite.  The invite is on the website: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/

3) The human readable privacy project.  It's making great progress, with interest from some key people.  I'll let Max fill us in more on that....

4) Review of our mission statement
There have been some revisions on the website.  Everyone please do feed in your ideas and opinions.  It provoked quite a lot of discussion when the coalition changed its name, but there's been little since then.  We'll leave the process open for now, and finalise the statement in Geneva in September. The link is here: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/76

5) IRP coalition workshop in Egypt
We've confirmed we want a slot, and are starting to think of who to invite for speakers and what to do...ideas and thoughts welcome.

6) Blogging feeds on the IRP site
If you have a blog, let max know and he can add it to the IRP site in a cunning way!

7) General call to everyone to get involved and send through updates of what you're working on.

Think that's it - if anyone has any additions do send them through.

All the best,
Lisa