[IRP] forward IGC open consultation statement & endorsementdraft

Lisa Horner lisa
Mon Feb 23 15:47:35 EET 2009

Hi

I think it's best to take the opportunity to read out a statement if
possible, although I do  agree with Ralf's points, especially that we
are not an advocacy body.

I also think that it would be good to take the opportunity to explain a
bit why we've changed the name/accepted the merger as I suggested
before, but also fine not to if it's too difficult at this stage.  I've
pasted a version with an additional sentence in the first para below in
case you do want to use it.

Thanks for the coordination on getting it read out.

All the best,

Lisa

 Please allow us to take this opportunity to share with the IGF
organizers and community that the "Dynamic Coalition on an Internet Bill
of Rights" and  the "Dynamic Coalition on Framework of Principles for
the Internet" have agreed to merge and change our name to "Dynamic
Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles (IRP)". The inclusion of
principles in our mandate will enable us to define better what applying
established human rights to the internet environment means in practice,
examining the implications for internet users and policy makers.

We invite all interested parties to join and participate in our
discussions and initiatives. Furthermore and on today's subject, the
Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles wants to join others
in urging the IGF organizers to make "Internet Rights and Principles" a
major theme at the IGF 09 in Egypt.

Naturally our coalition is working to prepare thematic events and
workshops on "Internet Rights and Principles" for Egypt and we are most
interested in working with other groups and institutions, including the
IGF community as a whole, to ensure that the IGF 09 will be successful
in developing insights and solutions regarding this key theme of
protecting the openness of the Internet as a public sphere in which all
humans enjoy their basic rights and freedoms.