[IRP] good practice to define limits of freedom of expression

Momoko Nomura MNomura
Fri Dec 4 13:42:54 EET 2009

Hello again!

Regarding what institutions can actually do with cases of violations of
freedom of expression on the Internet, OHCHR can act via the following:

1. The SR on freedom of expression sends an urgent appeal to the State
concerned - we receive dozens of information from victims and NGOs on a
daily basis and send out such communications to the Government when
violations occur (arrest/detention of bloggers, imprisonment of persons
who post their views online, etc). We send the facts of the case to the
Gvmt, remind them of their obligations under international human rights
law, and ask them to clarify how actions taken are in conformity with
their obligations. We publish all this information in the annual report,
which also includes whether the gvmt has responded to our allegations or
not (which can also be used as advocacy tools by civil society to "shame"
the Gvmt if they have not responded). From 2010, we will be publishing our
communciations report three times a year, rather than just once a year as
it currently is, with access to the full letters received from Gvmts.

See for example the communications that we sent last year (it's over 480
pages long!) - which includes many cases of bloggers, closure of websites,
etc.
http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G09/136/52/PDF/G0913652.pdf?OpenElement

2. The UN Human Rights Committee, which is a body composed of independent
experts acting in a more "quasi-judicial" capacity, undertakes a review of
States parties to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
(they are known as "treaty bodies"). They examine how Governments have
implemented their obligations under this treaty, which covers everything
from arbitrary detention, disappearances, torture  to of course freedom of
expression - and makes concrete recommendations to reform State
policies/laws etc. However, this is a more lengthy process and is aimed at
long term policy changes rather than seeking for immediate protection -
which is more the role of the SR.

3. The Universal Periodic Review, which is a body established by the Human
Rights Council, also undertakes a review of States' fulfilment of their
human rights obligations, which can also include concerns regarding
freedom of expression online - for example the review that will be
undertaken for Iran in February 2010 would be interesting:
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/UPR/PAGES/IRSession7.aspx (after the
review in the February session, the Working Group will adopt a set of
recommendations)

You can find more about these mechanisms and how they differ through our
Civil Society Handbook -
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/AboutUs/CivilSociety/Documents/Handbook_en.pdf

Am in a bit of a rush now, but can send more specific information in due
course!

Kind regards,

Momoko

Momoko Nomura (Ms.)
Associate Human Rights Officer
Mandate of the Special Rapporteur on the right to freedom of opinion and
expression
Special Procedures Division
United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
Tel: 41 22 917 9304
Fax: 41 22 917 9006
E-mail: mnomura at ohchr.org

Max Senges <maxsenges at gmail.com>
04/12/2009 12:25

Momoko Nomura <MNomura at ohchr.org>
cc
expression <expression at ipjustice.org>, irp
<Irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>, irp-bounces
<irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>, "maja.rakovic"
<maja.rakovic at kultura.gov.rs>
Subject
Re: [IRP] good practice to define limits of freedom of expression

hi momoko, really good reading you! I was planning/hoping/trying to write
to you and Frank but the stream of daily urgent things seems to be never
ending.

Thanks for pointing us to the mothership! Of course this is what FoE
governance setups/practices should be based on. The 1Mio$$$ question is
what institutions can do the actual work of dealing with the many many
cases that happen on a daily basis on the internet?

Best
Max