[IRP] need quick response IGF Review Questions 4-21-09

M.I.Franklin M.I.Franklin
Fri Apr 24 11:57:29 EEST 2009

Dear All

I agree with Anja's underscoring of the point Graciela has raised.
Inclusion is not only a principle  - and a right arguably - but also needs
to be put into practice at all levels. May as well start with ourselves!

Cheers
MF

--On 24 April 2009 14:33 +0530 Anja Kovacs <anja at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you, Shaila, for drafting the review comments.  This is a very
> valuable input into the review process.
> I would like to extend my support to the comments that Graciela submitted
> on Tuesday though.  The point that greater representation of small
> businesses is necessary within the private sector constituency is, of
> course, a very valid and important one.  But it remains equally important
> to stress the need for wider inclusion of civil society actors in
> general, and from countries in the South in particular.  I realise that
> it may be too late to add these points to the IPR DC contribution now
> (although workshop proposals could be edited until a day after
> submission, so perhaps it can still be done?), but hope that we agree
> that it is important for the IRP DC to push these points when future
> occasions present themselves.
> Best wishes,
> Anja
>

> Graciela Selaimen wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Thanks, Shaila, for this valuable input.
>> I have only three considerations. In the answer to question 6:
>>
>> 6. If the continuation of the Forum is recommended, what improvements
>> would you suggest in terms of its working methods, functioning and
>> processes?
>>
>>   1. Better representation at all levels
>>   2. Better inclusion of critical stake holders such as the private
>>      sector. Not just multi nationals but also small business stake
>>      holders who represent almost half and in some case more than half
>>      the business community.
>>
>> I think that if this is going to be presented in the name of this DC,
>> we shouldn't mention just the private sector as an example of a
>> critical stakeholder. Local NGOs, community media, human rights
>> activists, are some - among several other critical stakeholders - that
>> should also be mentioned.
>>
>> In regards to question 7:
>>
>> 7. Do you have any other comments?
>>
>> Move faster
>>
>>    * Treat civil society better participation at all levels and keep
>>      informed better - I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean here
>>
>>    * Funding for developing nations to participate - I suggest that the
>>      text says 'funding for different stakeholders from developing
>>      nations to participate .
>>
>> I stress once more - please, take my comments into consideration only
>> if this is going to be presented in the name of the IRP DC.
>>
>> best,
>> Graciela
>>

>> Max Senges escreveu:
>>> hi shaila
>>>
>>> i like your answers - please submit in our name if there are no more
>>> comments
>>>
>>> best
>>> max
>>>
>>>     < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : >
>>>
>>>     Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
>>>     committed citizens can change the world.
> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW