[IRP] Comments on IGF Programme Paper

Lisa Horner lisa
Mon Apr 20 18:49:30 EEST 2009

Hi Marianne and all

Thanks for the comment on this too.  It all comes down to definition
again!  For me, "principles" for internet governance should be rooted in
human rights as laid out in the UDHR.  I think principles have a
practical aspiration, and in the context of IG would be policy oriented,
such as net neutrality or interoperability. They translate the rights
and values into practical policy options.  This is all imho...the lack
of clarity is one reason I asked Max to do some research on this!

So, based on this reasoning, I think our proposed roundtable would be on
"protecting and expanding human
rights in internet governance processes through the development and
application of rights-based principles".  But that's a bit of a
mouthful! So maybe we could leave it as it is, or simply say 'We would
like to offer to host a roundtable discussion on internet rights and
principles".  Or something else?

All the best,
Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: M.I.Franklin [mailto:M.I.Franklin at gold.ac.uk]
Sent: 20 April 2009 15:18
To: Max Senges; Lisa Horner
Cc: irp
Subject: Re: [IRP] Comments on IGF Programme Paper

Dear All

I am happy to support this statement being tabled.

Only one phrase sticks out for me, in light of Hyderabad discussions
about
the distinctions between 'rights' and 'principles' and why there both
terms
have been adopted by this DC. Its the last sentence reading; 'We would
like
to offer to host a roundtable discussion on protecting and expanding
human
rights in internet governance processes'.

This reverts to the phrase 'human rights' which kind of cancels out the
above inclusion of 'principles'. Given the different standpoints from
some
governments, and civil society groups about what is/is not a human
right,
perhaps we need to  rephrase this....

How? Dunno. Any suggestions?

cheers
MF

--On 20 April 2009 16:14 +0200 Max Senges <max at supercoolschool.com>
wrote:

> http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/78

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media
Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross