[IRPCoalition] Updates on IRPC SC activities and IRPC participation at IGF2021

minda moreira mindamoreira at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:00:14 EET 2021

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.  A quick update below on Internet Rights and Principles Internet Steering Committee (IRPC SC) recent activities:

The IRPC SC met last month for updates on recent activities and to prepare the Coalition's participation at IGF 2021.

IRPC Participation at IGF2021

  *   Following our participation in sessions at EuroDIG2021, RightsCon21 and GhanaSchool on Internet Governance before the summer break, members of the IRPC SC also participated at ICT Africa, the Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum (AprIGF) closing session, the Youth YouthxPolicy Makers Workshop: Access & Accessibility and in the recent UK IGF.

IGF2021 Workshops
In the last few weeks, the SC has been busy with the preparation of two IGF2021 workshops:

  *   Day 2 - 8 December 2021, 16.50-18.20: WS#184 Syncing AI, Human Rights, & the SDGs: The Impossible Dream?<https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2021-ws-184-syncing-ai-human-rights-the-sdgs-the-impossible-dream>, Room 1&2
  *   Day 4 - 10 December 2021, 9.30 - 11.00: WS #167 Digital Human Rights: How IGF-born guides support the Roadmap<https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2021-ws-167-digital-human-rightshow-igf-born-guides-support-the-roadmap>, Room 1&2

IRPC Annual Meeting

  *   We are also looking into preparations for annual IRPC meeting on Day 3 - 9 December 2021, 15.45 - 17.15: The Charter at 10: Achievements, challenges and what’s next?<https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2021-irpc-the-charter-at-10-achievements-challenges-and-what%E2%80%99s-next>  in Ballroom C, as we celebrate the IRPC Charter 10th anniversary.

DCs Main Session

  *   The IRPC is also participating in the DCs Main Session and the one-page paper on the IRPC contribution to the IGF 2021 issue areas is due to be submitted tomorrow.
Here is link to the draft paper: https://cryptpad.fr/pad/#/2/pad/edit/Jjdic9W4xvp+18kaKG8Se95f/
  *   Please feel free to add and edit before we submit to the IGF secretariat tomorrow afternoon.

IRPC booth at the IGF Village

  *   The IRPC SC has decided that due to the reduced number of members attending the IGF2021 on site we will not be able to secure presence at the IRPC booth at the IGF Village. We have therefore requested that we will maintain a virtual booth only. As soon as we have more information on this, we will share with you.

Registration to IGF2021 and the preparatory and engagement phase

  *   There is still time to register to the IGF2021 here: https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2021-registration
  *   The preparatory and engagement phase is now ongoing. More information and how to get involved can be found here: https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2021-preparatory-and-engagement-phase

Intersessional Work: Policy Network on Environment (PNE)

  *   The IGF Policy Network on Environment (PNE) is hosting an open consultation meeting for the Presentation of first full draft of PNE report on Wednesday, November 17, 12:00 CEST.
More information can be found here: https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/policy-network-on-environment-pne

  *

The Charter of Internet Rights and Principles for the Internet: Translations

  *   On other updates we are happy to share that we are working on an accessible version of the IRPC Charter. This is an idea that was first circulated at the beginning of the year and that SC member Raashi will be coordinating.
  *   Other great news is the ongoing translation of the IRPC Charter in Nepali thanks to the Digital Rights Nepal team who are coordinating this translation. So, after the soft launch of the Italian translation of the Charter last June, we are now looking into the publication of the Nepali, Georgian and Catalan translations in the near future.

Council of Europe’s Steering Committee on Media and Information Society (CDMSI)

  *   As part of our current observeurship to the Council of Europe’s Steering Committee on Media and Information Society (CDMSI) we attended the Council of Europe’s “Seminar on Human Rights in the Digital Sphere<https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/human-rights-in-digital-sphere>”  last 18th October and we will be attending the 20th meeting of the CDMSI, 1-3 December 2021.

IRPC SC Elections coming soon

  *   Lastly, as we approach the end of the year, it is time to think about the IRPC SC upcoming elections.
  *   'sWe will have a small coordination group to prepare the election process and IRPC member Tapani has kindly offered to set up LymeSurvey for us and to help coordination the process too.

Very best wishes,
Minda