[IRPCoalition] IRPC SC updates

minda moreira mindamoreira at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:15:17 EEST 2020

Dear all,

I hope you are keeping well and safe under the current lockdowns and social distancing measures to fight Covid-19!

Now that the Internet has taken centre stage in our lives, this Coalition’s commitment to ensure that the fundamental human rights that are enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are fully protected in the online environment is ever more relevant. Our ongoing outreach work on the Charter’s Article  4 and its clause (b) - environmental sustainability, is even more urgent.

IRPC website and EuroDIG 2020's Plenary 4

Some good news is that we have just moved the IRPC website to Greenhost<https://greenhost.net/>, a green web hosting based in the Netherlands. Not only we have a secure website, but we reduced the IRPC website carbon footprint, by optimising content and transferring to a green provider. There is still room for improvement, but I think this is a small step in the good direction.

The website is live and we are still updating a few links in the background, so you may notice a few empty links and that some content (reports, etc) are still missing.

On this green note, this year’s Pan-European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG)<https://www.eurodig.org/>EuroDIG)<https://www.eurodig.org/> will be a virtual meeting, and IRPC Steering Committee (SC) is part of the Org team for Plenary 4 "Climate, sustainability and digitalization”<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Consolidated_programme_2020>. We hope to fuel the discussion on Internet environmental sustainability within the European Internet Governance community and beyond. If you are interested in joining the org team, please feel free to sign up to the mailing list here: https://list.eurodig.org/mailman/listinfo/pl4_2020.

IGF2020, Council of Europe's CDMSI Observership, Charter translations

The  IRPC SC has been in full swing since the beginning of the year: the first SC meeting was in January, and the second one around two weeks ago (meeting notes are attached).
This year the SC will be mainly focusing on Articles 1-4 of the Charter, while collaborating and supporting other projects that resonate with our work.
We are submitting proposals for IGF20 under the Inclusion and Sustainability tracks. If you would like to get involved with this year’s IRPC’s submissions, please feel free to let us know here or via info at irpcharter.org<mailto:info at irpcharter.org>.
We continue to work on the translations of the IRPC Charter and its 10 Principles - the Italian translation is underway (thanks to Edoardo Celeste!) and we also received the Nepali translation of the 10 Principles (thank you Shreedeep Rayamajhi!).

Finally, on our observership to the Council of Europe’s Steering Committee on Media and Information Society (CDMSI),  I am also sharing the the draft of CDMSI comments on PACE Recommendation 2168 (2020) – “Threats to media freedom and journalists’ security in Europe”<http://semantic-pace.net/tools/pdf.aspx?doc=aHR0cDovL2Fzc2VtYmx5LmNvZS5pbnQvbncveG1sL1hSZWYvWDJILURXLWV4dHIuYXNwP2ZpbGVpZD0yODUwOSZsYW5nPUVO&xsl=aHR0cDovL3NlbWFudGljcGFjZS5uZXQvWHNsdC9QZGYvWFJlZi1XRC1BVC1YTUwyUERGLnhzbA==&xsltparams=ZmlsZWlkPTI4NTA5>.

The CDMSI 18th Meeting and Conference of Ministers, which were scheduled to take place in Nicosia, Cyprus, next 27 - 29 May have now been postponed to October 2020.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Minda