[IRPCoalition] Rights?

Jean F. Quéralt jfqueralt at theiofoundation.org
Wed Mar 6 18:56:23 EET 2019

Dear Deirdre, dear all.

I may not feel like i have much to contribute to the conversation yet I do
feel you have expressed very aptly a growing concern I've been feeling for
the past years.

I find fundamental to not forget why we decided that presumption of
innocence was instrumental to create safer societies. It personally creeps
me down to the bone to observe how judgment is passed without due diligence
nor due process.

In thr digital context, these situations have been normalized by social
media, for instance, when taking down content with automated filters (and
providing very little remedy methods). The situation can only get worse by
laws forcing platforms to actively regulate their content. The natural
reaction can only be favoring false positives in order to avoid financial
losses (whether by fines or by business decrease).
This friction leads to both discouraging users to express themselves as
well as creating the sense that the burden of proof is in them.

And of course, I'm only covering a tiny aspect of a broader discussion
about "what can you be accused of".

Cheers
Jean