[IRPCoalition] European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG) 2019 - update

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 15:54:09 EEST 2019

Dear all

The 2019 EuroDIG meeting
<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Consolidated_programme_2019> starts today
in the Hague in the Netherlands. It follows from not only the RightsCon
meeting in Tunis but also from the CDMSI meeting at the Council of
Europe in Strasbourg. So a busy June for IG matters.

The IRPC has been contributing to the planning and input into this event
with Minda, Hanane, and I from the SC active in some way or another.

Am sure others on this list will be participating as well in all our
various capacities.

Two sessions that the IRPC and its partners have been focusing our
efforts on are

1) Day 2, *Flash Session 13 */*- Fighting climate change with emerging
technologies – for good or ill? */

https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Fighting_climate_change_with_emerging_technologies_%E2%80%93_for_good_or_ill%3F_%E2%80%93_Flash_13_2019

This flash session continues our work linking climate change to
environmental sustainability and human rights by design in light of the
shift up the agenda of Digital/Smart City planning

2) Day 1. *Workshop 2 -*/*GDPR Implementation – Blind spots,
opportunities, and the way forward */

https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/GDPR_Implementation_%E2%80%93_Blind_spots,_opportunities,_and_the_way_forward_%E2%80%93_WS_02_2019

This workshop brings together a range of views on the GDPR a year since
its implementation.

There are other main sessions that resonate with the IRPC work, and
respective sections of the Charter as well; WS1 - Internet
Consolidation: Opportunities and Challenges
<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Internet_consolidation_%E2%80%93_opportunities_and_challenges_%E2%80%93_WS_01_2019>,
and WS9 - Smart Cities and Internet Governance
<https://eurodigwiki.org/wiki/Smart_cities_and_governance_%E2%80%93_WS_09_2019>.

Two days almost at the seaside in sunny Netherlands.

We will be tweeting from @netrights to the #EuroDIG19 hashtag.

Looking forward to seeing you there

MF

--
Marianne Franklin (PhD)
Professor of Global Media and Politics

UK/EU Hub Lead - Deathscapes: Mapping Race and Violence in Settler States, www.deathscapes.org

Editor: Human Rights and the Internet at openDemocracy
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/digitaliberties/human-rights-and-internet/