[IRPCoalition] Extended Deadline [FWD: REMINDER - [FWD: IMPORTANT: IRPC STEERING COMMITTEE ELECTIONS PROCESS]]

mohamed farahat m.farahat at efrr-egypt.org
Tue Jan 8 12:17:24 EET 2019

Dear All,
I would like to nominate my self for steering committee. kindly find below
  kind regards

Mohamed Farahat is an   Egyptian lawyer. And practices as human rights
lawyer 11 years ago  , he is a legal trainer and legal and political
researcher    He joined Egyptian Foundation for Refugees Rights (EFRR) in
2014, first as Access to Justice team leader than as Coordinator of EFRR’s
legal aid project with UNHCR , currently as programs director .  He has
held his current position since March 2015.  In addition Mr. Farahat joint
African Civil Society on Information Society (ACSIS) since November 2017 as
a member  (ACSIS-Egypt) . Prior to joining EFRR, he worked for Africa and
Middle East Refugee Assistance (AMERA-Egypt) as access to Justice team
leader, he worked for International Commission for Jurists (ICJ) as a legal
researcher.

Mr. Farahat hold a law degree in Law  from Cairo university , he obtained a
post graduate diploma in Human Rights and civil society,   post graduate
diploma in International Negotiation , post graduate diploma in African
Studies , and  post graduate diploma in International law.

He participated at  IGF 2017 and 2018  as speaker and organizer for a
workshop sessions about internet shutdown and refugee digital rights in
addition he participated at African IGF 2017 and open discussion organized
by UNHSCO 2018 as speaker about  AI and human rights.

Firstly I will bring 16 years professional experience as a lawyer and legal
practitioner, human rights lawyer, legal consultant , legal and political
researcher , trainer and projects manager associated with academic
qualifications in Law , International law , African studies , International
negotiation and Human rights and civil Society (CV ready upon request ) .

With other members I will work through the two years to achieve IRPC
objectives and action recommended with other new ideas.

AS a lawyer and legal researcher , my main plan will focus on all related
legal aspects of IG , I will interested to propose new and not covered
legal issues, throughout 2 years of membership I will work on :

* New partnerships and new actors engagement needed in Internet Governance
issues related to human rights . Although the IG traditional
multi-stakeholders have a significant role in evolving internet and using
technology in the context of human rights  ,but IGF in general have to seek
new partnerships and actors engagements such as united Nation High
commission for Refugees (UNHCR) and International Organization for
Migration (IOM), World Health Organization (WHO) and International
Commission of Red cross (ICRC) for facilitate and using internet and
technology for empowering , protecting refugees , internal displaced
persons (IDPs) and migrants . .

* Step forward: Strengthen the role Coalition with Regional IGF

* Establish a legal committee to review all regulation and legislation to
sure it in line with the IG principles and rules. Assess the efficiency and
effectiveness of all legal documents governing human rights digital rights
,  with recommendation of addition, deletion and amendments needed.

* As human rights lawyer I will raise and work on digital rights on Africa
such as refugees digital rights, adopting programs that ensure empowering
most vulnerable person in Africa, using internet and technology to ensure
access of refugees, migrants to

* The capacity building is one of most important issues, adopting strong
capacity building programs related to human rights online which ensure
generating new qualified leaders. Form a committee responsible for capacity
building should be one of priorities of Committee members.

* Special permanent researches unit affiliated to committee  is vital and
essential ,working closely to all members and committees and focus on all
topics applicable and related to our objectives , and cooperate directly
with different academic and research institutes which assist to bring
challenges and opportunities to the agenda of IGF and export the new topic
to global IGF.

* The integration between all actors is essential of the operation, the one
topic has different aspects, legal aspect, technical, economic etc.., so

* Uniqueness is main thing I will struggle with other members to bring to
the operation of committee besides working on traditional IG topics. The
field of internet governance is rich and still has areas need deeply diving
in it.

* Outreach activities is very essential for developing the role of IRPC
specially with regional and national IGF outreach committee is core stone
for the committee operation.

* This is only some thoughts that i will bring to the operation , i am sure
the discussion with the members will generate a new thoughts to the
operation

MOHAMED FARAHAT
Programs Director