[IRPCoalition] IRPC STEERING COMMITTEE Nominations extended

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:22:18 EET 2018

Dear Minda and IRP,
I don't say very much on this list but I have followed the discussions and
the Coalition's activities for several years now.
Minda has beaten me to it with her nomination as I was intending to
nominate her myself just as soon as the non-virtual world I inhabit gave me
a moment for virtual things.
So all that is left for me is to express really strong support for this
nomination.
Best wishes
Deirdre

On 25 January 2018 at 21:56, minda moreira <mindamoreira at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear IRP Coalition,
>
> I would like to self-nominate for the position of Co-Chair.
>
> I have been member of the IRPC Steering Committee for the past two years,
> however my involvement with the work of the coalition dates back to 2012
> when I joined the IRPC as web and social media manager to develop the new
> website and to co-ordinate the IRPC social media networks. During this time
> I have been following closely and participating actively in the coalition's
> output, by editing and publishing content for distribution on the website
> and social media, aiming at reaching broader audiences and raising
> awareness of the work of the coalition in the promotion of human rights for
> the online environment.
> Over the years I have had the opportunity to experience the rise of the
> coalition’s online and offline profile and the development of the IRPC
> Charter Booklet, currently translated into eight major languages. I have
> also had the opportunity  to be directly involved in coalition’s activities
> by:
> - participating in meetings, conferences and regional IGFs ( WS10 Review
> Meeting - Unesco 2013, EuroDIG 2013, 2014 and 2016),
> - representing the IRPC as part of the EuroDIG 2013 working group,
> - facilitating the live broadcast of major events (NetMundial, annual
> IGFs, etc),
> - rapporteuring for IRPC meetings and workshops (WS “Towards a Human
> Internet? Rules, Rights, and Responsibilities for Our Online Future”,
> EuroDIG 2013 | WS “Confronting the digital divide (2) - Refugees, human
> rights and Internet access”, EuroDIG 2016 | IRPC Meeting, IGF 2017),
> - co-organising with Amnesty International the IRPC meeting with
> roundtable discussion  “When death threats go viral: defending human rights
> in the face of orchestrated harassment campaign on social media” at the IGF
> 2016 in Mexico,
> - organising on behalf of the coalition a Lightning Session: “Human Rights
> online – What has Internet Governance got to do with Refugees?” at the IGF
> 2016 in Mexico,
> - representing the IRPC at the DCs Main Session at the IGF 2017 in Geneva.
> It has been a privilege to be involved in these activities. Working with
> the coalition has reinforced my commitment to promoting human rights and
> alerted me to the challenges and opportunities for upholding human rights
> in the online environment.
>
> The outreach work of the IRPC continues this year with promotion of the
> Charter and new translations are already underway. The development of the
> Charter’s Resource Guide - initiated a couple of years ago by Kevin Kisser,
> Robert Bodle and Syracuse University law students -  which is now open for
> wider input, is another important project in progress. I would be delighted
> to work with the current co-chair and steering committee, as well as all
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979