[IRPCoalition] Internet Norms and Democratic Governance

Daniel O'Maley DanielO at ned.org
Wed Feb 22 00:37:49 EET 2017

Dear IRPC Members,

The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the National Democratic Institute (NDI), and my own Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA) are launching a joint initiative to develop Internet norms and principles essential to democratic governance. Our organizations work with a diverse set of democratic reformers in developing countries: CIPE (private sector and civil society), NDI (political and human rights groups), and CIMA (media and journalists). As such, we hope to activate this broad-based network to discuss the relevance of Internet norms to their own work, ideally emerging with an annotated set of principles that will support local advocacy efforts around a free and open Internet to build more inclusive democracies

The IRPC's 10 Internet Rights and Principles<http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Opinion/Communications/InternetPrinciplesAndRightsCoalition.pdf> and Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet have served as excellent guiding documents for our work, and we'd like to thank everyone in this group who participated in their development. We have recently started reviewing the principles to assess adaptability to our partner's needs, and would welcome any feedback from any of you who may have experience implementing or using the principles directly with specific groups.

Additionally, we are preparing for RightsCon 2017 in Brussels at the end of March. There we plan to formally launch this initiative by gathering active members of the open Internet community to discuss best practices and practical considerations for adapting and using these principles for advocacy work. If you will be in Brussels and are interested in connecting with our efforts, please reach out to me or one of my colleagues via our contact details below.

We know that we are newcomers to this group, so we look forward to connecting with and learning from those of you in this group who have much more experience than we do.

Cheers,

Daniel O'Maley
Associate Editor

Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA)

Email: danielo at ned.org<mailto:danielo at ned.org>

Maiko Nakagaki

Program Officer

Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE)

Email: MNakagaki at cipe.org<mailto:MNakagaki at cipe.org>

Sarah Moulton

Senior Manager, Technology and Innovation

National Democratic Institute (NDI)

Email: smoulton at ndi.org<mailto:smoulton at ndi.org>