[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Fwd: Is the Internet Really Free of US Control?

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 17:54:05 EEST 2016

Dear Parminder

Thanks for the thumbs-up regarding the HRI series on openDemocracy
<https://opendemocracy.net/hri>. And, indeed, debate and action are not
always the same thing. But action and attitudes can be influenced by
debates that take internal, expert-driven issues out into the wider
world. And as the world is increasingly online, activists (and
academics) and policymakers (and designers) cannot any more expect
public fora to be ready and waiting for topics that are as arcane as
they are deeply political, and politicized.

To that end, talk is not cheap, and actions do speak as loudly as words.

Seeing this issue discussed in a public forum, and not surprisingly I am
advocating this particular one given the high-quality contributions from
people who are on these lists, and who are re also active in a range of
other networks (e.g. scholarly, policy-based, activist), is becoming
increasingly needed. Politicians are making decisions based on a lack of
access to the nuances of these issues, to put it lightly.

Might I also have that our students in universities are becoming
increasingly engaged in the implications of a range of internet
governance decisions and interventions by all stakeholders.... they are
seldom addressed in these circles even as they constitute the leaders of
tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone on this series for committing to bringing these
debates out into the open!

best

MF