[IRPCoalition] [IRP-SC] Fwd: [bestbits] surveillance of human rights groups

Brown, Abbe abbe.brown at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 11:28:54 EEST 2015

I would support this

Abbe

From: IRP [mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Marianne Franklin
Sent: 26 June 2015 09:22
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRPCoalition] [IRP-SC] Fwd: [bestbits] surveillance of human rights groups

Dear all

Yes, let's. The letter expresses widespread concern across all stakeholder groups about an issue i think most on all the lists would all agree upon...

As Article 8 (f)  - The Right to Privacy on the Internet - of the IRPC Charter<http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IRPC_english_4thedition.pdf> states (echoed elsewhere in international undertakings and UN resolutions) "f) Freedom from surveillance: Everyone has the freedom to communicate without arbitrary surveillance or interception (including behavioural tracking, profiling, and cyber-stalking), or the threat of surveillance or interception. Any agreement regarding access to online services that includes acceptance of surveillance shall clearly state the nature of the surveillance." (IRPC Charter Booklet: 18).

I think this letter is succinct and makes this point clearly and it deserves the support of the IRP Coalition at large.

best
MF