[IRPCoalition] New paper on NN and ZR out today

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:26:21 EEST 2015

https://www.publicknowledge.org/press-release/public-knowledge-publishes-net-neutrality-paper-investigating-zero-rating-practices

Public Knowledge Publishes Net Neutrality Paper Investigating Zero-Rating
Practices

By Shiva Stella <https://www.publicknowledge.org/author/shiva-stella>
July 28, 2015
Net Neutrality <https://www.publicknowledge.org/tag/Net+Neutrality>, Zero
Rating <https://www.publicknowledge.org/tag/Zero+Rating>
[image: img]

Today, we’re happy to announce our newest working-paper, Exploring
Zero-Rating Challenges: Views from Five Countries
<https://www.publicknowledge.org/documents/exploring-zero-rating-challenges-views-from-five-countries>,
by Carolina Rossini, Vice President of International Policy at Public
Knowledge and Taylor Moore, our 2015 Google Policy Fellow. This paper
examines zero-rating practices on a global scale, focusing on their effects
in five countries to add to the growing international net neutrality debate.

The following can be attributed to Carolina Rossini, Vice President of
International Policy at Public Knowledge:

“The zero-rating debate is one of the toughest issues out there, and has
called into question various issues related to net neutrality and
competition policy. Countries have changed their clear-cut laws to
accommodate some practices. These zero-rating models include a variety of
goals, ranging from marketing to adding more clients to your network to
providing public services related information to connecting more people to
the Internet. However, we need to get past the rhetoric of good intentions
and look at the facts to inform policymakers. This is necessary so we can
foster innovation and promote the public interest as we move forward with
strong net neutrality rules around the globe.”

The following can be attributed to Taylor Moore, Google Policy Fellow at
Public Knowledge:

“Admittedly, before the case studies I was unaware of the global
significance of these issues. However, its significance and multifaceted
nature are illustrated by the variation in each country's response to net
neutrality and zero-rating. I think that these case studies will not only
contribute to the ongoing debate of these subjects, but will also aid in
future formulations of policy considerations. Going forward, I think that
Public Knowledge’s approach of analyzing the global response will be
beneficial.”

You may view this paper here
<https://www.publicknowledge.org/documents/exploring-zero-rating-challenges-views-from-five-countries>
.

--
*Carolina Rossini *

*Vice President, International Policy and Strategy *
*Public Knowledge*
*http://www.publicknowledge.org/ <http://www.publicknowledge.org/>*
+ 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini

*Save the Date! The IP3 Awards are September 24th!*
*RSVP
at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/12th-annual-ip3-awards-tickets-16522289613
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/12th-annual-ip3-awards-tickets-16522289613>*