[IRPCoalition] Council of Europe's Internet Governance Strategy 2016-19

Easton, Catherine c.easton at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 19:20:10 EET 2015

Dear all,

Due to the IRPC's observer status in relation to the Council of Europe's Steering Committee on Media and Information Society, we have been asked to comment on the new draft of their Internet Governance Strategy (attached).

I have drafted a short statement on this below but would appreciate input from the wider membership.  The deadline is tight and we would need to finalise this by Monday.  Please could you post your comments and I will draw them together in a final submission.

Many thanks,

Catherine

Response:

IRPC Comment on the Council of Europe Steering Committee on Media and Information Society’s Internet Governance Strategy

The strategy is effectively embedded within existing human rights instruments.  It accepts that internet governance requires the co-operation of numerous stakeholders.  The decision to place a strong emphasis on ensuring that the Internet is people-centred is particularly praiseworthy.

In relation to the development of a “Magna Carta” for the Internet, the IRPC would like to draw your attention to the Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/charter/  This was developed using a multi-stakeholder approach and has been referenced in a number of legal and policy instruments.

In relation to prioritising online safety and security for all, the measures outlined are clear and strategic but reference should be made at this point to the need to balance freedom of expression with targeted measures to address online security.  This section would be improved with a statement of the need for a proportionate response to online threats.  This would sit well with the statement’s initial focus on democracy and upholding human rights.