[IRPCoalition] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 12:33:09 EEST 2014

Dear all

The statement below is comprehensive and a summation of at least two
years of intensive debate and drafting led by a working group in the
Best Bits network. 24 hours notice is possibly too short to establish a
broad enough consensus from the IRPC list about whether to endorse the
statement as a whole or not.

But there is time for those of you with a stake in the outcomes of the
ITU Plenipot meeting that is currently underway to comment on any
matters arising from this text.

it is long! 10 pages almost but does deserve our attention, as
individuals or as representatives of participating networks and
organizations on the IRPC list. In short, what comes out of the ITU does
impinge on the IGF's future as a fully fledged actor in this domain and
as an IGF DC I believe that the IRPC does have a stake in the outcome
and eventual reception of this statement; many on this list have been
active in the drafting so feel free to respond or clarify if need be.

The statement is open for comment I believe after the sign-up deadline.
Here is the link again (Background note from Anne Jellema below fyi):
http://bestbits.net/itu-plenipot-notes

best
MF

On 20/10/2014 21:56, Carolina Rossini wrote:

> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media & Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Department of Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross,
London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
Email: <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
Twitter: @GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Twitter: @netrights
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/internetrightsandprinciples
email: info at irpcharter.org