[IRPCoalition] IRPC Submission to the Net Mundial Meeting

shaila mistry shailam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 20:57:38 EET 2014

Hi Everyone

As one of the original authors of the Charter of Human Rights
and Internet 1.0 and as a key author for the 10 principles, I offer follow
clarification.

The decision to
create the Charter of Human Rights was made in IGF Hyderabad in 2008 and for
the next year a committed group of individuals worked on it extensively for
almost a year . The group emerged from interest and expertise and dedication to
pioneer the way for a “Bill of Rights” as it was termed then.  Opportunity to participate and submit was
open to the list.

Yes we made a very serious attempt to reach consensus and
many “discussions, collaborations and consultations” took place with a great effort
to be mindful of all aspects of internet rights.Charter 1.0 was a
monumental beginning, indeed it opened the door to Human Rights appearing on
the stage, from that beginning it is now a central consideration.

The 10 principles were intended to be quick brief synthesis
of the Charter. Again this was done to garner the interest of governments and other
critical influencing bodies. The 10 principles need to be seen within context.

The Charter and the 10 are both excellent instruments and
they did the job, however much has changed since then and we need to revisit
both the Charter and the 10 principles to update and strengthen. A lot has
change in the understanding and culture of some of the language and jargon.

I look forward to working on next round. Please send out information
when we start the process.

Shaila Rao Mistry

President
StemInstitute
Transforming Ideas into Action                shaila at stem-institute.org

President
JAYCOMMI
Input Technology With A Human Touch          www.jaycopanels.com

The journey begins sooner than you anticipate !
..................... the renaissance of composure !