[IRPCoalition] IRP in 2014

Shawna Finnegan shawna at apc.org
Wed Jan 8 17:57:26 EET 2014

Hi,

Thanks Deborah for sharing this research - the analysis is very
interesting. I am surprised that development, security, data and
cross-border flows were among those issues least mentioned in the 18
declarations analysed.

- From the analysis, it seems that the IRP Charter is one of only 2
declarations, among the 18, that includes development, which I would
expect to be an important issue at the Brazil meeting. I think that
goes to Marianne's point that the Charter can be used as a fuller
template, and that looking at the 80% overlap in principles is a place
to start, not an endgame.

Thanks Marianne for clarifying your original message, and for
initiating this discussion in the list.

Cheers,
Shawna

On 14-01-07 04:02 AM, Marianne Franklin wrote:
> [...]
> collaboration can and does work. In short, if the outcome of the
> Brazil meeting is to recognize that 80% of like-minded principles
> can be gathered into one meta-set, that in turn can be linked to
> existing and burgeoning international human rights law for the
> online environment then I would argue that this outcome for Brazil
> has more or less been achieved. And for this we should all take
> some credit.
>
> I hope that clarifies the intent of my original message.
>
> best MF
>

> On 07/01/2014 01:03, Deborah Brown wrote:
>> Happy new year to all and welcome to IRP's new leadership.
>>
>> Just a quick note to follow on Shawna's message.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> While the IRP Charter is a robust starting point for a global
>> multi-stakeholder principles on IG, it would be great to map the
>> 80% overlap in recent principles (if Wolfgang has not already
>> done so), and work with our networks and communities to
>> articulate shared language based on that framework.
>>
>> Great idea. In the interest of not reinventing the wheel, I
>> wanted to share a very useful and relevant resource that
>> Carolina Rossini and Jeonghyun Baak worked on (attached), which
>> compares a number of existing principles and statements from
>> different stakeholders based on issue areas. I'm not sure how
>> their research relates to the 80% of overlap that Wolfgang cites,
>> but I thought to share it here in case it's of interest.
>>
>> Kind regards, Deborah
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Shawna Finnegan <shawna at apc.org
>> <mailto:shawna at apc.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Happy new year, and welcome to the new co-Chair and Steering
>> committee members!
>>
>> Marianne, thanks for this email. Wolfgang's post is a fantastic
>> orientation for the upcoming year.
>>
>> I completely agree that there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
>> The fact that 80% of principles in recent declarations on IG are
>> the same, according to Wolfgang, suggests that we are very much
>> on the right track. Continuing down that track, I think
>> prioritizing one charter or declaration over others in
>> developing a global set of principles might undermine the
>> collaborative process.
>>
>> While the IRP Charter is a robust starting point for a global
>> multi-stakeholder principles on IG, it would be great to map the
>> 80% overlap in recent principles (if Wolfgang has not already
>> done so), and work with our networks and communities to
>> articulate shared language based on that framework.
>>
>> Looking forward to others' thoughts,
>>
>> Shawna
>>
>> On 14-01-02 05:25 AM, Marianne Franklin wrote:
>>> Apologies for a double-mailing but should have sent the message
>>> below under a new message heading. On 02/01/2014 12:21,

>> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131231_internet_governance_outlook_2014_good_news_bad_news_no_news/
>>

>> At the end of this analysis, Wolfgang makes the following

- --