[IRPCoalition] IRP in 2014

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Tue Jan 7 12:02:24 EET 2014

Dear Shawna and Deborah, and all

+1 to Deborah's forwarding of the very useful and informative overview
that Carolina Rossini and colleagues have done on work achieved so far.

Shawna, my proposing that the IRP Charter can be used as a fuller
template was not to suggest one initiative over another precisely
because the IRP Charter is the result of just this sort of
collaboration. The outcome of a cross-sector achievement in which CSO's
played no small part. I was proposing this in the spirit of
collaboration and historical context as we all agree that going over
well-ploughed ground would uproot all the seeds already sown, and taking
root.

A full charter of rights and principles such as the IRP Charter based on
the UDHR and other international law is quite distinct from the exercise
of distilling a range of principles into one list. This is a more
high-level, abstract exercise that arguably takes the pressure off
actors (govn's and private sector) from having to commit to more
specific and comprehensive obligations by law, or by mutual consent. So
here Wolfgang's point about political possibility (i.e. the more
abstract said principles the better) is well taken. However, this is the
moment to support the pioneering work of not only the IRP Coalition as a
whole but the constituent organizations and looser networks of groups
and individuals that contributed to the Charter in substantive terms.

For the Brazil meeting then and moving forward from the recognition of
human rights at the IGF in Bali as integral to internet governance, what
criteria will all parties need to agree to before coming up with a
combined set of principles? And where do such principles take us all
from there? The answer to these questions lies precisely in the fact
that there is an 80% overlap of *principles* already on record. So, this
is the place to start, not the endgame for the work has been done
already, several times over in fact given the precursor initiatives
(e.g. the CRIS campaign, APC internet rights campaign, womens internet
rights campaign, 13 Principles, and so on) and also with the Brazilian
Marco Civil (and its 10 principles) being a core initiative from the
host country.

Nonetheless, principles are abstract and the IRP Charter although still
quite high level goes further by incorporating the full spectrum of
human rights law with respect to the internet. Also, to note, as opposed
to other documents with the title of "principles", the IRP 10 Principles
are distilled from the fuller Charter, not the other way around. The
Charter in this sense is an encapsulation of prescient work from a
landmark collaboration, not a separate initiative claiming turf over
others.  As an outcome "avant la lettre" so to speak and in the current
international mood since Snowden, it is also the framework document for
past, present, and future global compacts around principles as intended.

These thoughts are my own after some years observing and taking part in
these crosscutting discussions, and seeing how collaboration can and
does work. In short, if the outcome of the Brazil meeting is to
recognize that 80% of like-minded principles can be gathered into one
meta-set, that in turn can be linked to existing and burgeoning
international human rights law for the online environment then I would
argue that this outcome for Brazil has more or less been achieved. And
for this we should all take some credit.

I hope that clarifies the intent of my original message.

best
MF

On 07/01/2014 01:03, Deborah Brown wrote:
> [...]
> >>

> At the end of this analysis, Wolfgang makes the following comment
> >> about the leading role the UDHR played historically in setting
> >> the frame for subsequent international human rights law: that it
> >> "would be good to have a similar document for the Internet,
> >> supported not only by the governments of the 193 UN member states
> >> but also by all the non-governmental stakeholders from the
> >> private sector as Google and Facebook, the technical community as
> >> ICANN and the IETF and civil society as APC and Human Rights
> >> Watch."
> >>
> >> Point taken but for the fact that the IRP Charter already exists
> >> in this capacity. Its 21 clauses are explicitly - and elegantly
> >> - embedded in the UDHR and these subsequent treaties. It was the
> >> product of collaborative work, within the IGF setting to be sure,
> >> of individuals and organizations all mentioned in this comment.
> >> Government reps and IGO reps have been active as well in the
> >> Charter work. Endorsements by a range of actors are currently
> >> being gathered as the 2nd Edition of the Charter Booklet is ready
> >> to go public. We also have several translations in process so
> >> here there is a grassroots support level for the work.
> >>
> >> But, Brazil is a so-called high level meeting and its outcomes
> >> will be symbolic and perhaps groundbreaking from an
> >> inter-governmental point of view (perhaps not but that remains to
> >> be seen). With more and more support for a human-rights based
> >> approach to IG in the wake of the Snowden revelations, it appears
> >> that we could be facing the embedding of a disconnect between
> >> this shift in mood, one that underscores the IRP Charter project
> >> after-the-fact, and the fact that these calls since Snowden are
> >> already encapsulated by the IRP Charter in its entirety.
> >>
> >> Given this recognition that human rights online do matter
> >> (underscored too by initiatives such as the 13 Principles by PI,
> >> EFF, Access et al) do need protecting, what remains to be seen is
> >> whether all those concerned with making Brazil a success and
> >> based on the good parts of the IGF working model, the IRP Charter
> >> can be taken on board in a more explicit capacity. By this I mean
> >> that it is the document that is adopted and recognized in the
> >> fullest sense of the term ("legally non-binding high level
> >> principles"). This is because the IRP Charter remains the one
> >> document that already complies with these calls; from within the
> >> IGF community and further abroad in the UN, and technical
> >> community where high profile figures such as Tim Berners-Lee are
> >> calling for a global Bill of Digital Rights.
> >>
> >> It would be a shame, and a mistake to my mind, for us to not to
> >> make use of the same sort of collaborative and creative energy
> >> within this list alone, and links to wider networks to promote
> >> the Charter for this role whilst supporting the Brazil Meeting
> >> aim to generate a broad sort of global consensus. We do not need

Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)